Energy efficient white goods

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Nov 4, 2021.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59161949

All well and good having the yearly savings but for me, paying £800 for a dryer is out of the question!

I am looking for a tumble dryer, washing machine and fridge freezer at the mo and its all about low spending. I wont buy on credit etc. No cash, no purchase as far as i am concerned.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Tumble dryer and washing machine. Best value is second hand. Usually find nearly new stuff being sold when “her indoors” wants built in or something

CGN likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Where do you go looking for 2nd hand? Gumtree, ebay etc?

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Absolute best place for second hand is local house contents auction houses. It's always a bit of a punt but you can get things dirt cheap from house clearances. I am lucky in that there are a couple of house clearance auction houses within a few miles of me that put their lots online to check out before visiting, they have weekly sales.

5. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Not worth messing about with second hand white goods imo.
    Unless you know the exact history of it.

I-Man likes this.
  6. If you are short of cash right now then heat pump tumble dryers are obviously more expensive. You can get one for 350 quid though. No need to pay 800.

I-Man likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I see. Thanks

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Wonder how reliable these heat pump dryers are? Only time will tell .

also, in the BBC article, I was surprised that EBAC washer came out at the top of energy efficiency. A quick check of specs of EBAC site found that this model has hot fill. Effectively its energy efficiency comes from not having to heat the water, which represents 90% of an washing machines energy consumption. Water presumably heated by a gas boiler. Wonder if the costs took into account of the gas used ! I doubt that from the costs indicated.

a lot of machines in the 70’s and 80’s had hit and cold fill but but by 90’s most were cold fill only.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do heat pump dryers take longer to dry the clothes?

10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yes.. Mine takes around 3hrs

11. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Peg them out. Or drape them over a clothes horse with a window open. It's free. The most energy efficient option of all.

gadget man and Astramax like this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And come out of the tumble drier completely thread bear and worn out...:eek:.

Are you serious, 3 hours, couldn't live with that o_O, life's too short.:(

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So is the condensation that results from such actions...

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yikes! 3 hrs is a long time...i know its more energy efficient but thats a long time to wait. Can you set it to run quicker if needed?

15. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yes there are more rapid programmes if needed... To be honest I've never had the need to use them though

16. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

That’s why I said ‘with a window open’ …….

17. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Clothes come out completely fine.

I don't sit around specifically waiting for clothes to dry, so makes no difference to me whether it takes 1 2 or 3 hours!

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

And its freezing outside! Lol

19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

soon self appointed energy police will be shouting “shut that window, don’t you know there is global warming ?” :eek: