Cracks between ceiling and wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Daveab, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Daveab

Daveab New Member

Hi after some advice on what would be best to solve the hairline cracks which keep appearing in our spare bedroom.

I sanded them down the other year and filled but they've come back,i think i tried caulk last year.The worst is the spare bedroom where the crack goes the entire length of the wall

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the bathroom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other is a crack between the skirting boards, what would be best to use?

[​IMG]

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apart from fitting a plaster cove which is not the fashion now perhaps do this: On the ceiling walls rake out the cracks with to a V grove and fill with a couple of coats of Toupret Interior filler (a firm but workable mix), screwfix stock this filler, with the cracks along the skirting clean up and fill with an flexible exterior paintable frame sealant.

chillimonster and ElecCEng like this.
  3. Daveab

Daveab New Member

We did think of coving but Mrs thought it was to old fashioned.

What tool would be best to rake out?

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

A Stanley knife and a steady hand ;)

5. Daveab

Daveab New Member

Ok so finally got round to doing it and some of the plaster just fell out leaving some bigger gaps than id have liked,Not such a steady hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I don't have picture to hand but found this one below of me filling. Rake out. Drill 10mm holes every 75mm ish along wall and ceiling line. Spray water in and along and inject with foam. That helps stop the movement then corner tape along. Use a foam gun for the control and push masic nozzle on the end. You can skip the tape and just fill and sand if you want[​IMG]

7. Daveab

Daveab New Member

Right thought id update and ask for some advice

Trying to paint the ceiling white but this paint ive got is rubbish.

I've had it 5 years gave it a good stir Crown Matt Emulsion Paint - Pure Brilliant White its taking ages and not covering well any recommendations?

Still a few bits that need lightly sanding

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just thinking about what you can get easy at the moment.

Valspar trade brilliant white but add water which it tells you not to do on the tin. I do though and flows nice with Hamilton green sleeve. It is my second favourite ceiling paint. If you want to kill colour and use what paint you have get some valspar base coat. It's good stuff to prime before you top off with crown

9. Carola

Carola New Member

Hi that looks like you'll get a good finish Just wondering what causes these types of cracks ad I have one or two also. Are they serious? Is it movement of the foundations?

10. Daveab

Daveab New Member

Sadly it didn't work as the cracks have come back

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

scratch out. Need to dig enough to get mastic below surface. Pva. Polymer mastic like CT1 or OB1.
    Let it dry as will hold solid. Toupret fill. Block sand to get square corner. Paint

Daveab likes this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

IMG_20210811_092256_compress23.jpg Here is the ones prior to fill. Mastic applied.

Corner tapes also work using paper but a bit tricky for some. Inc me.. Ha

This will work fine for most