Bathroom lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca, Nov 16, 2021.

1. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi All,
    Hope you're all well. I just want to pass something past you all.
    I'm about to change some MR16 Halogen lamps for GU10 LED ones, I have done plenty of these before but these are in a bathroom. As far as I can see it's ok provided the lamps are in a ceiling which is more than 225mm above floor level, therefore outside the zones? Any comments (good or bad) welcome!
    Many thanks.

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I would use the ip65 ones, you don't have to if its above the 2.25m height but why not there cheap as chips.

Deleted member 246321 and seneca like this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks for that I S, Yes I was thinking that.

Ind spark likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

411.3.1.1 Protective earthing is the bit which refers to earths on lights it says
    The word "suspended" means MR16 lamps are not normally included, until 1966 we did not need an earth to low voltage lighting, we still do not need an earth with separated extra low voltage (SELV) and G5.3 lamps tend to be SELV but although the GU10 may be double insulated it still requires the protective conductor even if not used.

The problem is often 12 volt lights were wired with twin flex without an earth wire, so moving to 230 volt often needs new wires running.

Note MR16 refers to multifaceted reflector 16/8 inch across, and has nothing to do with voltage or electrical connection, there are very few LED MR16 lamps as they don't have the reflector so they are only MR16 compatible.