Radiator Install - PVC to Copper

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Systrade25, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Systrade25

Systrade25 New Member

Hi All,

Recently moved house and tackling the downstairs cloakroom.
    Replacing a small radiator and looking for recommendations on how best to convert from pvc radiator connections to copper.
    It’s a dot and dab wall, would it be a case of chasing out plaster, running pvc pipe, installing push fit elbows then copper to rad valves?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Yeah pretty much, if u need to cut the plastic make sure it’s a nice clean cut, as any sharp burrs will damage the o ring in the fitting. Also any plastic pipe will need an insert pushed inside before pushing into the fitting.

are you changing the size of the radiator? How come you want to change for copper.

Systrade25 likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well……. You can’t solder plastic to copper so yeah, two options on fittings;

1. Push fit

2. Compression fitting

Essential to use inserts with plastic pipe to either of the above fittings - ideally same brand pipe : fittings : inserts : (but not always possible to ID pipe in situ)

Systrade25 likes this.
  4. Systrade25

Systrade25 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Replacement radiator is the same size. Wanted copper purely for aesthetic purposes but must admit I’m debating if I’m making hard work of it.

I definitely want to change the rad valves so I’m assuming I would have to cut the plastic anyway.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Valves should de mount. Push the black collar in.

stick with plastic. Copper isn’t any neater…

6. I’d stick with what u got. Don’t make life difficult for yourself, once it’s in u won’t notice the plastic pipes

7. I assume the backbox had an outlet plate on that you have removed, but if not you could add one.
    I would use Drayton valves and angled adaptors if u haven’t already purchased the valves, they are good quality.

Attached Files:

jonathanc likes this.
  8. Systrade25

Systrade25 New Member

there was no outlet plate installed but I’ll be putting one one now.
    Appreciate the advice

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  9. Systrade25

Systrade25 New Member

Many thanks, will give it a go.