No power, yet 240v at all circuits

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by leejohnson222, Nov 20, 2021.

1. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

Please don't all kill me here but,

I replaced 3 lights tested those 3 and all working. Went to do a 4th a restored power and now the rcd trips.
    Put everything back to how it was and no power to any outgoing circuits but all circuits have 240v.
    No tripping at all unless I put in a plug top tester and the rcd goes
    Split board 2 rcds, this is a job for a friend who won't be friends with me much longer.

I assumed if I remove lighting circuit (l, n, e)
    that I worked on that would restore power to all other circuits but the problem remained
    Any ideas?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Check all your neutral and earth connections to make sure you haven't mixed up a neutral and earth somewhere.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

That's what I thought but I did not change anything in the board, only removed the lighting circuit so it's out of the rcd configuration to see if power would be back on but it isn't. Rcd doesn't trip unless I use my plug top tester

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo of your plug top tester? Is it one of those with a neons? How old is it?

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Any pictures of before and after connections?

6. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

Yes it it one with a neon, the board is fairly new though and next to the digital meter and main fuse

7. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

No as i put everything back as before to try and retrace my steps before the fault, wondering I lf there is something wrong with the rcd

8. Ind spark

I'm a bit confused, are the lights working but don't when you plug in your tester?

I was going to ask If you screwed through a cable whilst installing the 4th light?

9. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

I thought I hit a cable, originally 3 lights worked fine, 4th did not work.
    So put that back as it was and nothing ever came back on again, even removing the lighting circuit from the board didn't change anything. One thing I didn't check is the tails, wonder if neutral is loose

10. Ind spark

When you say removed the lighting circuit did you remove the live, neutral and earth?

Don't think the mains tails will be the problem, you didn't touch them did you?

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Do you have any test equipment other than the socket tester?

12. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

Fluke voltage indicator

13. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Are we talking a pen that lights up red at the end or a proper two pole tester that actually displays the voltage measured?

14. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

No we are not, T110 fluke, 24v-240v

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

So with the lighting circuit completely removed from the MCB, the RCD does not trip unless you plug in your socket tester?

Does it trip if you reconnect the lighting circuit and do not plug your socket tester in?

If it does, then start disconnecting each light fitting that you changed until is doesn't trip. Take photos at each fitting and post on here.

16. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You say you have 240, but ia that L-N?

What have you L-N, L-E, N-E?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You’ve obviously fecked up on the 4th fitting and NOT put it back as it was. Either a screwed cable, or you’ve muddled connections.

18. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

If it worked before then you have a cross connection or damaged cable.
    Maybe you have put n in wring side of db?
    Ie wrong rcd

19. leejohnson222

leejohnson222 New Member

Really appreciate all the advice, I went back with a more logical approach and tested everything, tails all good but no neutral when the main switch was on.

Replaced main dist board switch and all back on, I think I lost a bit of common sense and it was late in the day.

Glad it's resolved just weird how a lighting fault came up then the main switch failed.

tore81 likes this.