E10 petrol

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Adamfya, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Anybody having any issues with the new fuel?

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

No, but did not replace a worn petrol lawnmower because most small carbureted engines cannot handle e10 fuel unless used everyday. The mower got used once a fortnight in spring falling to 3 to 4 weeks in summer and no use for best of the remaining 7 months! Apparently, the ethnol is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture making starting tricky. Some agricultural machinery manufacturers are selling fuel preserver but cost of this plus e10 is more expensive than super unleaded.

3. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

What fuel would you use for a lawnmower? Super unleaded?

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Yes unless you want to use fuel preserver with E10

5. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I have a 1957 Morris Minor. I haven't dared put any E10 in it yet - I can't seem to find any definitive information regarding whether it's safe to do so. Any knowledge out there would be massively welcome.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Same age as my sweet wife........needs trading in for a younger model! :oops:...;)

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  7. woodbutcherbower

I already have one mate. Difference is that I didn't find my girlfriend sat in the middle of a field covered in rust and cows**t :)

Astramax likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Brazil was running e10 in 1976..
    E27 today and they managed no problem. Makes me wonder and maybe the answers for people with older cars was to follow what they did. Although I don't know much about it but heard on radio.

9. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Guys

I have a 1995 2.2ltr Toyota Camry.
    I purchase it new so I had it 26 years.
    127K on the clock.
    Its called a Classic now I though it was just an old car.
    Toyotas info on it was NOT to use E10.
    I am using Super Unleaded E5
    My only gripe is its 10 pence a ltr more expensive in the UK,
    Cant win,

Johnny M

Hans_25 likes this.
  10. Johnik

Johnik Member

as someone who now retired but who spent most of their life in the motor trade i have interest in this subject.
    as far as i can make out you will get less MPG, if you have a classic it will rot rubber fuel pipes and copper floats in carbs, it also contains water that is not good when the engine is left to sit around doing nothing in things like lawn mowers, as others have pointed out, using super should get round the problem, most classics should have the newer spec fuel pipe by now but for the sake of a couple of quid it will be worth changing it (not from the likes of E bay tho as there is some dodgy stuff being punted as the latest spec)o_O

Wayners likes this.
  11. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Been using E10 in my 1995 Astra, no issues or drop in MPG noticed so far.

Problems that might arise in older cars are fuel hose breakdown and possibly rust in metal fuel tanks. Anything with a carburettor is likely to be incompatible.

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

While you may not notice a drop in MPG under general observations, there is a real drop as chemically ethanol has 38% less energy for a given volume than petrol. The fact E10 is 10% ethanol, means it has few percent less energy than super unleaded for a given volume. All other things being equal ( the power generated by the engine) , for a given vehicle, the MPG will drop by the same %. There is no getting away firm this , this is hard chemistry and physics. The carbon emission will be the same too. However, eathnol is made from renewable sources unlike fossil fuel, hence its introduction.

On Brazil with E27, ultimately they will have to decide weather to use land for growing food or fuel ,

13. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A 3% overall drop in economy seems to be a common figure, so with a consumption of 40mpg it's only about 1.2mpg less, something that could easily be absorbed by a better driving style.
    On older cars, they're often listed as being incompatible simply because E10 wasn't around when they were built, and long-term testing isn't viable. If something can't be guaranteed, manufacturers will always advise against it to cover themselves.
    The best place to see of any common issues on older cars is owners forums, in some countries such as Brazil as mentioned, high ethanol mixes have been used for many years.

14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The fuel pump diaphragm will suffer and fail from the E10, it did in my 1943 Jeep. The steel tank will rust, but you can get a kit for fixing leaks in fuel tanks that coats the inside, that will prevent corrosion. The solder that joins the pipes to the banjo's will suffer as will the solder on the carb float. You will need a new fuel pump diaphragm, or replace the fuel pump and line the fuel tank.

15. woodbutcherbower

Cheers Bob. The fuel pump’s the mechanical original fixed to the side of the engine block and I don’t really want to change it. The car’s 100% original and hasn’t been mucked about with in any way. It still has the original air in the tyres :) Diaphragm’s easy to get to though, but I'll follow your kind advice and see if I can get a suitable replacement.

A lot of owners on the Morris forum are using this and swear by it? Any experience yourself?

Attached Files:

16. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Years ago when the leaded to unleade issues were being spoke of, i put one of those lead mouse things in the tank....
    Never had any problems....
    Maybe something will be made to combat e10 issues....

17. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

20 year old posh Toyota here (Lexus), its OK with E10, which is what's used on the continent. Typically only get 25mpg but with the low mileage I do, its nothing that worries me.

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'd simply use super unleaded, which is E5.

19. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Guys
    I just went to put some of that GOLD plated Super Unleaded E5 in the car.
    Cost £1.66.9 a litre.
    Anyone beat that?

Johnny M

20. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I am sure a garage in Sloane st or Park lane in London can beat that! They are on average around 20p a litre higher than other garages in london. I often wonder who buys there.