Wiring new ceiling light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hell68, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Help pleeeeeeeaaaaaase

Think I'm totally over thinking this. I've replaced every light fitting and socket in my home and stuck on this last one.

Single pendant ceiling light. Single switch. Earth, neutral and live from new light fitting. Took pictures. Bought wagos because, as seems to be the norm, the new light fitting doesn't have enough room in the connectors for more than 2 wires!

Wired new fitting as is. But nothing. No pop because I've wired it incorrectly and no working light!

Could someone please spell it out to me which wires I should be connecting to which using the wagos. Should I be connecting all earth's together. All neutrals together. Lives together. And then switched live and live from the new pendent together?

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If this picture is as the wiring is now and it is not working then you could try

upload_2021-11-20_13-0-44.png

Steps
    1. Turn of the power to the circuit
    2. Move the black to the same block as the blue
    3. Move the red wire next to the brown to the centre connecter block with the other red
    4. Move the sleeved black wire to the same block as the brown.
    If you have a test meter you can check that the cable with the black sleeved red and a red is actually the switch drop.

Good luck with your project.

tore81 and Hell68 like this.
  3. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

No. Unfortunately not. The picture is how it does work. When I installed the new pendant fitting I wired it up to the wagos like for like and it won't work!

In the existing set up (picture above) it seems (to me :D) that the neutral from the light fitting is connected to the switched live and shouldn't in theory work. But does! Or have I completely lost the plot? Lol

4. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Thank you. I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow. I've had enough of it today :D and lost my boys, who were holding the light up for me, to football lol

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can’t see how the light could possibly be working in picture you’ve posted above as for starters, brown core from pendant isn’t connected to any supply - be it live or neural - it’s just on its own in LHS terminals at ceiling rose so how could it possibly be working ?

All connections look wrong - as you say, switched live is connected to neutral - don’t understand how light is working and you’ve not blown the fuse at CU

Something ain’t right ..,,,, even at nearly 3am ;)

Hell68 likes this.
  6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Unless you have something very odd going on, convention would be:-

Reds together alone, Black to blue of pendant, Black with red sleeve to brown of pendant.

How that works technically is, one red brings power in, other red takes it to the switch, black with red sleeve is return from switch, single black is neutral.

However, if something is muddled at a previous light on the loop, that would cause issues.

Do you have a tester to test for voltage?, a two pole voltage tester is your friend here!

Clearly go steady and remember to power down at the mains before moving any wires around!!

Hell68 likes this.
  7. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Thank you for your reply. Even at 3am :D
    Lol Nope I can't see how it works either with the neutral where it is...but it does! Lol. Odd really as its the only light or socket in the whole house that's apparently not wired correctly but working! Probably just as well I'm replacing the fitting....hopefully :D

If I finally get it to work I'll post the solution! But might not be today. I've had enough of it this weekend lol

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  8. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Thank you for the reply

I don't have a tester (but hopefully my neighbour will. I'm loathe to buy one as this is the last electrical anything that needs replacing in the whole house! Lol) Or the will to carry on with it this weekend to be honest.

I've been turning the whole power off just in case. I don't trust it to be wired to the upstairs lighting trip at the mo.

It didn't work when I wired up the new pendant as this one is. So hoping if I wire it what should be the correct way it will. Wearing my rubber soled boots and keeping a good distance away when I finally have the courage to turn it on! Lol ish

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

So just to clarify, the picture you posted, is that what you have done, or is that a before shot when it was working?

10. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

A before shot. The one I took when it was working (but technically shouldn't) - before I tried to fit the new pendant.

Its not very clear in the picture but the red wire on the left is actually in the same connector as the brown

This picture might be clearer

Attached Files:

11. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Put both reds in the same wago block and put the brown from light fitting with the black but is sleeved brown together in another wago and finally put blue from fitting with black wire into another wago.. and connect earth's all together..

Hell68 likes this.
  12. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Thank you.
    Youd think wouldn't you? :D it just baffled me as how it's wired at the moment isn't the norm......But somehow still been working for the last 20+ years?! Lol

It's a next weekend job now I think. Early shifts starting tomorrow and can't face another fail this weekend! lol

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your switch cable ,in the pic, is simply wired unconventionally. Whoever did it has used the black wire that's in the loop terminal as a feed to the switch ,and the red wire as the switched live.
    In reality it doesn't make any difference,your pendant is connected correctly to live and neutral conductors.

Hell68 likes this.
  14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

My mistake then - I hadn’t seen that the red and brown are in the same terminals - it did look like the brown from pendant was on its own with no others cores connected

That’s why I couldn't work out how the light was possibly working !!

Hell68 and tore81 like this.
  15. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

My mistake the first picture was pretty rubbish :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  16. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Thank you for your help.

Must be the new light fitting that's faulty then! Grief. But glad it's not me! o_O

I'll wire it all up again with wagos next weekend and attach the existing pendant (that works) to make sure

17. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Summoned up my bloomin minded stubbornness....I will NOT be defeated by a ceiling pendant!!

Took the light into work and it's definitely the fitting that's not working.

At least I know how to wire it up when I get a working one!!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

terrymac likes this.