Help needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Suziebee, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Hi, been prepping my walls ready for painting. Sanding filling etc, when I came across a crack that wouldn't fill so tapped it and this happened! Plaster has come off in sheets! The rest of it seems fine just this area was loose. Now what do I do? What plaster to use? Tried ready made plaster but not going far any suggestions please?

Attached Files:

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I am no expert on plastering but it looks like a wall skimmed over previous artex ! If plaster is not adhering, you need to prime the walls with a coat of PVA, diluted to makers specs. People here have strong views on one coat plaster as it does not give a perfect smooth finish but for a small area bit of sanding helps. Hopefully some plasterers will respond.

3. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Its just blown is all, before you go repairing it make sure the rest of it is sound and still adhered to the substrate. After that as quasar said prime and plaster.

4. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes looks a pretty poor job it's just this area where the wall has been opened up for a doorway. I have checked the rest.
    Would I get away with one coat plaster? I'm off get supplies soon could anyone tell me what I will need?
    Thanks

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Needs getting all off and plastered properly.
    Pva and plaster.
    I'd recommend blue grip vs pva tbh.. Then plaster again.

Poor job that.

6. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

One coat doesn't give a great finish for a diyer imo. I'd probably go two coats of multi finish

Suziebee likes this.
  7. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Pva then multi finish be ok? I applied ready made to a bit of it does this need scraping off or will pva over it be ok? Thanks everyone

8. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

This is what came off

Attached Files:

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No pva. Plaster not stuck to emulsion properly.

Looking at picture they used a thin tight coat of bonding first then multi finish plaster. You can see the bits in the bonding plaster.
    The bonding plaster is a type of backing plaster used to level the surface

10. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Do I need use bonding again?

11. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I would be inclined to scrape off what is easy to scrape off, PVA with 4 or 5 to 1, and go on it with multifinish before the PVA dries.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You've got a horrible artex surface to deal with. If it was me, I'd drop the rest of the plaster, get some 9mm plasterboard and fix it up with plasterboard foam adhesive. If the artex has any hollow spots , that needs to come off too, but if it's sound, leave it. Once boarded, it is a straight forward quick in and out skim job to finish it ready for painting.

As the plaster has dropped off the artex once, I wouldn't be too sure it won't drop off again.....hence the boarding option.

13. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

The first one, even the artex is scraped to remove nibs, will be a bit less than flat! :) BTDTGTTS.

14. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Ok I'm off to get some multi do I need any bonding first or will I be ok with 2 coats over artex?
    The artex is sound just looks like poor prep on areas

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not sure if you're aware Suzie but artex MAY contain asbestos. It's not a reason to panic because it may not, but to treat it with respect just in case. Try to disturb it as little as possible, keep it damp if you are dealing with it and use PPE.

Suziebee likes this.
  16. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Yes I did think about that. I'm going go over with multi and hope for the best

17. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Make sure theirs no lining paper under the artex or depending on the age of your house be mindful of distemper too

18. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Ok so after a further look there seems to be pretty decent plaster under the artex paper. Do I just carry on and leave and skim over or get it all off to the decent plaster?

Attached Files:

19. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

"Artex paper"?

20. Suziebee

Suziebee New Member

Sorry textured paper