New CU…showing too much skin?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Milk_float, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Milk_float

Milk_float New Member

Hi just had a new Hager CU unit fitted and added in a EV charger.
    Is the incoming feed showing too much bare wire? was hoping the CU would be moved so that it wasn’t so close to the gas line behind. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
    Picture of new install and old unit. 186AA720-EA2D-48DC-86C2-1E9A770E702D.jpeg 8DD6EC39-DBF5-4949-BBBF-8A2C15AAFB30.jpeg

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Its OK

with those soft braided internal link wires it is difficult, if not impossible to avoid, the ends are high pressure crimped/bonded to a hard pin, so you cant cut them back.

Of course in the ideal world you wouldn't see ant exposed metal, and more expensive commercial CUs go to great lengths to cover everything up - in this case though its difficult not to have a little flash of copper on parade.

on the basis electricity arcs about 1mm for every 1000v there is no risk of shorting as nothing is going to be moving around and only skilled persons should have the cover off.

Funny how some things are like london busses, i hadn't seen an old Wylex 2x6 board for 10+ years, saw one on an EICR yesterday, and now another in your picture!!

Just out of curiosity, whats the random un-used 20A breaker for?, future shed?

Milk_float likes this.
  3. Milk_float

Milk_float New Member

Cheers Tony for your reply.
    I believe it’s just a spare. Though garden shed/office is a good shout for the future
    The breaker labelled garage is actually a spur of the kitchen ring into the garage. Something the previous house owner had wired in.

4. Milk_float

Milk_float New Member

There is also a random cable terminated with Wagos. Not sure what that’s about. Though he is coming back tomorrow as part the kitchen lights do not work

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The terminations that the spark has made all look good and neat with no excess copper to be concerned about, however... the reds and blacks need to be identified with blue and brown tape or rings.

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Really? Why?
    Just needs a 2 versions sticker on the cover I thought.

Hans_25 likes this.
  7. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Why? There is no requirement for that at all. As Ind Spark has correctly stated, there should be the appropriate notice drawing attention that two colour codes are used in the installation.

8. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Thats a new one on me too, I just stick on the obligitory sticker warning of the two versions of the colour code - even that is IMHO overkill, as we know, only electrically competent persons should be working on the system, and if you don't know about the different colour codes and how to test for dead etc. you are not competent!!

9. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Agreed. Could understand the warnings when the colours changed in 2004 but after nearly 20 years surely there cannot be anyone left who is unaware of the 'new' colours.

10. Bob Rathbone

Perhaps I am just too fussy and pedantic, or maybe not. I would fit identification, not because the regs say so, or don't say so, but because I think that as we are using 'new' colours, brown and blue, it is good practice to do so. If it was required in the past just after the changeover, then why not now when some may need to be reminded. I would draw the attention of our readers that the specified colour for Phase and neutral is Brown and Blue, if any other colours are used then the regulations require the installer to mark the conductors in accordance with the current regulations. This is a new CCU, the installer has connected cables with the old colours, I believe that the installer is obliged to re identify for compliance.
    Once again I would remind all that the regulations specify the MINIMUN standards required, some may chose to exceed these standards.

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

So glad you weren't in charge in our factory, would have taken months to go round all the DB's with little bits of tape.

12. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Place I used to work were on Red White & Blue for most of the fixed wiring

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The last factory I was in was a subsidiary of Honda UK and had both UK and Japanese wiring systems and voltages with large transformers to drop us to 200v 3 phase.

14. Bob Rathbone

Thanks Bazza, I don't suggest that we should deliberately go out and re identify all conductors, only the ones we work on. It's an on going process that seems to have been forgotten about in the regulations.