Black Friday sales

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by quasar9, Nov 21, 2021.

1. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

According to BBC, retailers are warning that they may not be able to fulfil Black Friday orders due to stock shortage especially in technology area!.

1. Why have a sale when you have insufficient stock ? Genuine sales are where a retailer is getting rid of excess or slow moving stock or those that are about to be superseded by newer models.

2. How are they so sure they can’t supply orders if they don’t yet know the level of demand?

looks to me they are putting out scare stories just to drum up business, or perhaps to counter recent stories in the papers that most Black Friday offers are not that great a buy .

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Well it must be right if the Beeb say it.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Without any doubt! :rolleyes:

4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

So true Quasar...

They're just trying to shift old, out of date stock...

I'm in the market for a new laptop and TV, but forget Black Friday, not being dragged into that con!

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I spent 27 years as a retail director in department stores. The amount of genuine clearance or ‘sale’ stock is minute. Virtually everything is bought in and is being sold at full margin by both retailer and supplier. Only exceptions are seasonal fashion where the stock has a limited shelf life and occasionally where the retailer needs the cashflow and is willing to take a hit on margin of regular stock to generate it. (Think ‘20% off everything’ days)

If you saw something at full price and were tempted then you later see it discounted then go for it. But ignore the ‘deals’. Stuff is sold for what it’s worth.

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Marks and Spencer sometimes have good genuine reductions on sale items.
    I once bought a nice woolen cardigan at half price it lasted years.

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Very true , Clothes retailers are different in the sense the product shelf life is short ! For most people, there are at least two seasons but for the fashionista there are 4, and to continue to be a true fashionista, your wardrobe must be cleared out at least twice a year !

even otherwise, simply on basis of warehouse space, retailers need to clear out their stocks on a regular basis hence genuine sales. But a true fashionista would not touch these with a barge pole :D

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm a dedicated follower of fashion with a 20 year lag.

quasar9 likes this.
  9. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

I still have some of my clothes from the 1980’s, think they are just about to come back into fashion.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have used the same underwear for nigh on 15 years! :p

Tilt and gadget man like this.
  11. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Yes, and your missus wants em back, Lol........

CGN, Crowsfoot and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Do you ever bother to have them washed though?:)

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Of course not!

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Don't be silly, he likes to think we are thinking he's watching Are51 24/7. What he's actually doing is making sure that vending sales are going well in Japan....................and that certainly requires no washing at all :D

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can’t be arsed with BS deals. Everyone else can go after them

Astramax likes this.
  16. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

There was a report on earlier from the US, the reporter was stood in the biggest mall in NY city, and to say it looked dead was an understatement, he said that it had been busy, but sales were a frction of what was hoped for - with their bid department stores like J C Penny and Sears in a precarious state, as indeed are some of ours, it could be black indeed for physical retail.

Be sad if Sears did go, their Craftsman screwdrivers, available on ebay are superb!

17. sally green

sally green Active Member

I agree that on the whole as stated here most are "BS2 deals/sales

However, I've bought 6 Echo shows 2nd genration @ 65 quid each and three Google nest hub min 2nd geenration at 55 pounds ech - all inc postage and paclage.
    They are presents for me and family - IMO these are real bargains as we have paid double for these in the past couple of years and we wanted them and waited for these sales.