Wickes Kitchen problems

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Doodledoo81, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a kitchen installation with Wickes that is fast becoming a complete nightmare. I'm trying to upload pictures but can't work out how to do it.

Basically, our kitchen is installed except for the quartz worktop but we have discovered that some of the kitchen legs are propped up little blocks of chipboard, some are on 1 block, some are on 2. Some legs are sitting at angles with the feet perched halfway on the chipboard block.

Worse than this there is a gap between the extension and house and they have sat the feet of the cabinet right on the gap. They never informed us that the gap was there or asked if we would like it remedied.

We were quoted for the floor to be screeded but wickes are arguing that the quote was only for the area that was being tiled, which is fair enough but if the fitter had made us aware that the floor was so unlevel then we would happily have paid for the whole floor to be screeded. He has just tried to rush through it all without making us aware of any issues.

My question is would you make customers aware of issues as they crop up? Surely that is the point of employing a professional to do a job?

Thanks

2. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

3. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

4. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

Managed to upload some images

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It looks worse than what it is, really speaking it's nothing to worry about as the unit will be fixed to the wall and/or to its adjacent units so any weight from items will be spread over the walls and units, it's not as if the unit will fall down the gap in the slab, the gap itself is not anything to be concerned about. Equally, if the floor is sloping out of level too far for the legs to be adjusted then it's common to lift them up with a block of wood or whatever to hand, within reason.

6. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

It looks like this before anything is even inthe cupboards though and before the quartz worktop has been installed. Would you not make a customer aware that they have a hole in their floor?

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How wasn't the gap in the floor picked up before the new kitchen was installed? Yes I would mention it but with the same sentiment as my post above, that it doesn't affect the kitchen fit as you've lived with it previously without knowing it was there.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looks naff to me. Obviously not thought out properly or discussed before they started fitting the kitchen.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

How come you didn't know about the hole in the floor , was it not visible to you for some reason ?
    As Jord86 stated ,the cabinet legs being shimmed is fairly common ,the ones not straight are easily altered ,and a board across the two floor levels where the gap is could easily be inserted. All fairly minor snagging.

Tilt and Kitfit like this.
  10. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

The gap was tiled over before they started, they ripped out everything including the electrics and lights so we couldn't see that there was a hole there. They never mentioned it too us at all and asked if we wanted to fix it ourselves or add it to our quote

Attached Files:

11. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

That picture shows the cabinet propped up on two chipboard pieces

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's nothing to worry about. What's the rest of the kitchen like?

13. Kitfit

Kitfit Member

Bit ****.
    Couple of larger pieces stuck down with a bit of gripfill would have been better.
    And maybe cleaned under the cabinets before fitting.

14. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

Sorry that doesn't make sense, I meant the arwa where the hole is was tiled over in the old kitchen before the install started. They completely stripped the kitchen and never told us about the hole, they did not ask us if we wanted to fix it or if we wanted them to do it for extra money

15. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

The rest looks okay but what's the point of it looking okay if it starts falling to bits in a years time

16. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

Is chipboard really a suitable material to use for shims anyway?

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's not going to fall to bits. Why come on here if you're ignoring advice?

In this scenario, yes.

18. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

To be fair you're the only person who has said it is okay, other posters have said it looks naff

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not true. With the internet being anonymous, why believe or trust anything anyone says or even ask for advice in the first place if it's not what you want to read? Looking naff matters in certain areas and not in others, in your scenario it doesn't matter.

KlausK and WillyEckerslike like this.
  20. Doodledoo81

Doodledoo81 New Member

What's 'not true' about me saying other posters have said it looks naff. Anyone would think you are my kitchen fitter with how defensive you're being