Identify this tool by Rawl?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by buffoon1, Nov 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. buffoon1

buffoon1 Member

My last "ID this" challenge for a while. This tool is stamped with the Rawl brand.

I think it is a centre punch for masonry. Right/wrong?
    what3 (4).jpg what3 (7).jpg

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That one is a rawlplugging tool. It goes into a handle and you use it to chip out holes for rawlplugs. Predates electric hammer drills. They came in various thicknesses for the different coloured plugs.

Rotate 1/4 turn betweeen hammer blows.

Had many a bruise using one as an apprentice.

Kitfit, buffoon1, CGN and 2 others like this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

When I started as as apprentice we use to get a gas shut of tap on handle to use when using hammer to hit and turn for rawl plugs

Bazza-spark likes this.
  5. Bazza-spark

There was an art to it in getting it right.

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

How does it fit into an sds :D

buffoon1 and CGN like this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

File under ‘obsolete’ and move on. It’s not a tool to resurrect, even if you're a purist.

Kitfit likes this.
  8. buffoon1

buffoon1 Member

Thank you all; much appreciated!

I will keep it with my larger star-drill (also passed down) and be grateful for my power tools!

Out of interest, would you use a 4-pound hammer as for masonry chisels, or a lighter carpenters hammer?

9. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Only used them Rawlplug punches once as an apprentice at the start of the 80s and that was probably as a punishment, used a 2lb club hammer hit and 1/4 turn repeat.

buffoon1 likes this.
  10. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

When installing flight simulators in the late 70s, I had to install brackets for hydraulic pipes in a concrete trench. It took me a week using a rawlplug "jumper" and lump hammer. With a modern SDS drill, probably less than 1/2 day. How things have moved on. :D

buffoon1 likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

Back in the 70's there was no power on site and we were wiring 4 blocks of flats. That was bad enough, spending all day chipping out with one of those and a bolster chisel for the boxes, but when you came to a really old stone house it was a nightmare to use.

buffoon1 likes this.
  12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Sorry. That sould read late 60s

buffoon1 likes this.