Should I seal the ends of my garage roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pynk, Nov 30, 2021.

1. pynk

pynk New Member

I have just bought a flat, it has a corrigated garage roof but you can see through the gap at the edges of the roof, should I seal it to stop drafts when it is windy it rattles,
    it is dry but cold

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

What's the rest of it made of? Is it an apex roof? They add to draughts. What's the corrugated iron fixed to, steel or timber? A picture or there would be useful. I'm in the middle of making a building in my garden, which has a tin roof, at the moment. What will you use your garage for? Soorage, car, or what?

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

My old garage had shaped inserts that pushed in.

4. pynk

pynk New Member

@justpumps
    Thats what i was thinking of

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Fo
    Found mine in a builders merchant, sorry cant remember which one as is was so long ago.

6. pynk

pynk New Member

Its a breeze block garage, the corrigated sheets are metal and attached to wooden beams but it is not an apex, on a slant,i think it is attached to rsjs and wood, i want it as a workshop and for my car

Attached Files:

7. pynk

pynk New Member

thats ok, i wasnt sure they made them, i will hopefully be able to find some

just pumps likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you are going to patronise anybody by underlining the correct way to spell a word, it would help your case if you could spell 'storage' first and not 'Soorage' (spellcheck notwithstanding) ;)

9. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Cor, a spleeing falme. It's not "patronising", I have no idea where you got that from, but YOU did. It's *correcting*. Still, I won't descend further.

To the OP: Yes, corrugated fillers are available, eBay etc, but they tend to need to be fitted when the corrugated sheets are fixed. I would think it's possible to retreofit, using sticky foam (Screwfix 6576H), but that brings nasty possibilities of condensation on the underside of the corrugated, since there won't be free flow of air. I would be inclined to tidy it up a bit up there, fit a vapour barrier (DPM, e.g. Visqueen or whatever Screwfix have to offer), and a bit of insulation, and leave the air flow, to stop that happening. You don't want horrendous drips in your workshop.

pynk likes this.
  10. pynk

pynk New Member

To the OP: Yes, corrugated fillers are available, eBay etc, but they tend to need to be fitted when the corrugated sheets are fixed. I would think it's possible to retreofit, using sticky foam (Screwfix 6576H), but that brings nasty possibilities of condensation on the underside of the corrugated, since there won't be free flow of air. I would be inclined to tidy it up a bit up there, fit a vapour barrier (DPM, e.g. Visqueen or whatever Screwfix have to offer), and a bit of insulation, and leave the air flow, to stop that happening. You don't want horrendous drips in your workshop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was a bit worried about the condensation, a vapour barrier sounds good too, not sure what the previous owner used the garage for but it does need a tidy up,