Cooker hood help

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Marc Berry, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Mainly i have a question but then any other advise welcome .

The question is that i bought a ducting kit. 5 inch. It comes with flexible ducting, the wire type with the metal covering. It also comes with the external vent

I thought I'd test fit the ducting to the vent but it seems too tight to go on. Even though they're bought together

Am I missing something? Is therea knack to it maybe?

2. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I just got a reply from the seller who simply said i may need to 'work' the ducting some more to get it to fit the spigot

Doesn't help much.

3. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Anyone?

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Best advice is to ditch the metal ducting (I hate it, it’s too rigid) and grab some standard plastic flexi. Fix to the duct outlet using the large jubilee clip supplied.

Top tip - many people make the mistake of using a 127mm core drill as they think 125mm flexi will go through the hole. It won’t. You’ll need a 132mm core. Get a decent one such as a Marcrist red.

1076BEA6-0802-4649-9B4D-9559B4A646AB.png

Marc Berry likes this.
  5. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cheers mate.

Yeah might be best.

I messaged the install diameter of the hose and the outside. The outside is just over 125mm and the inside just under but it's simply too tight

I'll have another mess tonight

6. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

If its any help I find the brick external vent type easier to fit, just drill out the mortar line and if the metal is tight fight warming it up and give it a few tugs normally works...if not go round with the tin snips/ scissors to feather the edge and aluminium tape it.

Marc Berry likes this.
  7. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cheers mate.

I've now ordered plastic ducting to see if that helps and it should come today. I'll have a mess later with it all

8. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I've just got the plastic tube and it goes on easy. Great suggestion.

Hopefully an easy job now

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Good stuff. Glad you got fixed up.

Marc Berry likes this.