Christmas weather.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Crowsfoot, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

What are your predictions for this years Christmas weather?

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Cool, wet and breezy in south, cold wet and windy up north and snow on high grounds :rolleyes:

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

-30 in the UK...:p

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Beast from the east, storms from the west, arctic Scandinavian winds from the north and sand storms from the south. Take your pick !

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Sprouts on Christmas day and very windy on Boxing Day!
    Cando

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Won't be anything like the Christmas cards covers however I think it's worth a bet on Birmingham or London getting snow at 4-1. Seems colder this year and I've seen snow already on hills and fell as sleet.
    I don't think it's going to be 10c or above. Cold and frosty imo with snow in places this 25th. Definitely colder this year already and I don't like it

7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

I've just spent the last 3 days up at Dovedale in the Peak District building a deck for a holiday let next to the Izaak Walton Hotel. Temperature averaged about 1c, but felt way, way, way, way colder than that. Absolutely freezing, the type of day when you get home and set the shower temp to max from the get-go, and just don't want to get out because you still can't feel your fingers after 20 minutes. The constant biting wind from the valley and hills doesn't help. Had a few inches of snow a few days ago, but mostly gone now. Paslode gas cartridges down your pants to keep them warm. Good news is that it's warming right up to 2c tomorrow.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

T shirt weather for northerners :)

9. woodbutcherbower

Spot on @Sparkielev . I'd got my Bermuda shorts and flipflops on today as well. Us Northerners aren't white - we're BLUE. It takes us an entire week of sunbathing in the South of France before we go white.

Starslikedust and Sparkielev like this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

We are right on freezing point in UK which is why it's so difficult to predict snow / rain. Slight change in temperature and it rains vs snows.
    However you can get away with shorts all year if you keep moving, but drink alcohol and you could be in trouble.
    People do die on the way home after a good night when a coat was all that was needed.

I walked home after a session and it was minus 21 around 2010. Started to get worried when I got near home after walking 4 miles and it was getting to me.
    You won't wear shorts for long outside when it gets to freezing point and below if you ain't sober and moving. So thats a postman, as they keep moving. I remember the naked rambler walking fine in winter. Ha.. Wonder what happened to him?
    Be glad to get January over with tbh.

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Woke up to a very light sprinkling of snow in extreme West London this morning, just inside M25... Gone by lunchtime.
    Cando

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Trying to predict the Christmas weather is rather pointless tbh as we’re all going be ‘enjoying’ another lockdown me thinks ;)

Thanks to Insulate Britain, those of us that have some form of insulation in our houses may be able to remain fairly toasty however cold it gets

Apart from the pensioners, those on minimum wage and the dossers that won’t be able to afford to switch the heating on due to ever rising fuel prices

Mind you, soon our gas boilers will be banned so we need to be thinking about other forms of heating and hot water supply ….. that’s if there’s any energy supply companies left to keep the gas and leccie pumping in the meantime

Not going to be able to warm ourselves up with a hearty, roast turkey dinner on the big day as there’s no slaughter men available to dispatch the birds as they’ve all returned to their birth lands due to Brexit and/or Covid

Prices on everything we buy have risen and continue to do so, perhaps the traditional Christmas food and drink excesses will be paired right back this year as we’ve all been hit in the pocket and should really be saving a few coins here and there for tough times ahead

Radio has started playing all the terrible Xmas tunes from the last 30 plus years so that just adds to the depressing mood and general doom and gloom

So suddenly …… the topic of Xmas weather don’t seem so important …….. Real World Issues to contend with :eek:

13. woodbutcherbower

Humbug.

I agree about the songs though. True story - I once unexpectedly met Dave Hill from Slade on a train from Birmingham to Leamington Spa. Lovely, down-to-earth bloke, full of brilliant stories, endless anecdotes - and just a lot of fun to spend an hour with. He told me that 'Merry Christmas Everybody' was written as a throwaway in 2 hours of spare studio time as a bit of a joke - but their producer's ears immediately pricked up, and he told them 'this will be a #1 hit' - so they just let him get on with it. He was right. On its original release (no.1 for a zillion weeks, back in the days when people actually went out and bought music instead of downloading it for free) it bought each of the band members a swanky new house - and to this day (this train ride was in 2017) it still generates enough airplay residual royalties to buy each of them an upmarket new car every single year. 41 years and counting. Fair play to them.

Edit - His haircut was still terrible, and he told me that he still has his original John Birch 'Super Yob' guitar. Legend.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Crowsfoot and Sparkielev like this.
  14. Crowsfoot

When you are #1 "top of the pops" it's a really good idea to record a Christmas song just to keep you in royalties when you are no longer #1 (so come on Ed and Adele, the times running out for you:)).

Weather predictions :

Christmas Eve, A dark and dank day with a max temp of 6 degrees.
    Christmas Day, A very cold day but brighter than the day before with a max temp 2 degrees.
    Boxing Day, A much warmer day with a max temp of 10 degrees.

15. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

On endless repeats of Xmas songs - most of the classics were written between 50’s and mid 90’s with a few on either side! Today a slew of singers are hoping to break into that winter wonderland hall of fame with Xmas numbers ! Among them Elton John + Ed Sheehan, Adele etc etc but the only one that sounded like a making of a classic was from ABBA. :rolleyes:

16. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

17. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Having heard the list of Xmas 2021 no 1 contenders I think they are all duds, ABBA included. So the old list continues.

18. woodbutcherbower

All the new ABBA stuff I’ve heard is utterly dire. Why are they doing this I wonder? They can’t need the money, that’s for sure. It’s a shame really - blighting their classic legacy of genius songwriting and fantastic production. Like a hairy wart on the face of a well-loved friend :(

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Best artists, writers and sports people quit when at the top, knowing that their legacy is not to be diluted by years of under performance as they slide into oblivion! In sports, the axe falls quickly and sometimes decisively with no comeback possible. But in music, the slide is progressive although there may be an occasional and brief recovery, the slide is downwards once it gets going.

ABBA is a mystery ! Maybe it’s a last hurrah, before they realise how bad it is !
    Adele, do we need any more misery at a time when many are already suffering !
    As far as Elton and Sheeran are concerned it’s the mix of the impossible ! It’s like turkey and brandy butter with sprouts coleslaw. :confused:

20. Crowsfoot

Looks like Eds already jumped on the bandwagon teaming up with Elton for a Christmas song to keep him in food and clothing when he is no longer #1.

"Step into Christmas" is Elton's Christmas tune. Although not a big hit when first released in 1973 it will have nonetheless made countless royalties every year since then for the owners of the copyright.

I quite like the new ABBA song.
    It sounds like it's from the 1960s Phil Spector's Christmas Album and was recorded well before they won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021