Collapsed chimney - how to repair?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Weetabix, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Hi - I'm in the process of removing the plaster/cement from the walls in the kitchen.

I was planning on knocking through the chimney to create a fireplace, but it doesn't look very stable?
    Some of the bricks on the side are missing and soot is coming through the holes.

How should I go about knocking it through - acrow props? Or should I leave it altogether as the strip of brick holding up the lintel looks really thin and in some places non-existent?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I have no idea what those pictures show. How about a couple from further away, to give context?

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

This ^^^^^^^

4. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

ok - I will do when I'm back at the house tomorrow - thanks

5. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

So here it is with more detail....

Attached Files:

6. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

...some close ups of the holes down the side.
    There's no hearth - it's propped up on some bricks....

Attached Files:

7. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this?
    I'm guessing it will need a hearth/concrete slab fitting underneath to support it, then knock through some holes, support it with Acrows while the rest is demolished?
    Then reinstate the bricks down the side and repoint the stonework?
    Does that sound like the right approach?
    Or is it a minefield that should just be left and plasteres over?

Thanks.

8. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I've still no clear idea of what you want to do. Is ith that you just want to expose the "builders opening" behind the render with roundish blobby marks on it below the (I Take it that is a chimney breast) mix of brick and stone above, or are you wanting to break through to the next room (is this what you mean by "knock through")?

9. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Hi @MRY - I want to expose the fireplace - this is the side of the house where there's been a lot of damp due to higher external levels.

10. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I'd be inclined to start off by making a hole through the bricked-up builder's opening, somewhere the middle, to see what you can see. I must admit I am not that keen on the "rubble" above what looks like the lintel, but it's still there, as is the lintel. Perhaps stitch drill a amall area 400 or so square to avoid bashing the bejesus out of it and maybe disturbing things, break that out, and see what's there behind. You might find it best to replace the front of the chimney breast if it's awful, or even dispense with it if you don't want a fireplace.

11. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Thanks,

I've decided now to keep it blocked, but need to clear it out before it's capped off - so plan is - to male a hole like you say anx try to bring down as much **** (the other one was filled with a tonne of damp soot).

Questions:
    Is pointing the stonework above enough to make it strong?

Should I fill the gaps down the side with pointed bricks?

Thanks

12. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

If you're not using it, perhaps get rid of it?

13. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

...hadn't thought of that @MRY !....anything I need to know?
    Wouldn't I have to get rid of it upstairs too? Quite like it as a feature in the bedroom....