Toilet seat

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by lol63, Dec 3, 2021.

1. lol63

lol63 New Member

I am trying to replace my toilet seat. It’s giving me a nightmare. Well I discovered it needed an alien key. I managed to do one side .. but couldn’t do the other . The side that I had done lifted up and the other side just slid off. But now I am left with this. I have tried using the alien key to get the other side off but it’s just not having it . Any advise would be grateful also will any toilet seat just slot on top ? TIA

Attached Files:

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Is the alien key turning / slipping without doing anything, or is it just too stiff to turn?

3. lol63

lol63 New Member

Just turning

4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Have you tried undoing the nut underneath?

5. lol63

lol63 New Member

You cannot get under the toilet its solid basin

6. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

If that's an ideal standard Contour range you need to lift up the two shiny discs to swing them around enough (get a blade under them if they are stubborn) to expose two cross slot screws. Loosen them and the posts will slip out. Repeat process to install new lid/seat.

7. Without removing the top elbow you won’t be able to will you? The options are if the Allen key screw is stripped is to cut the elbow off or drill the screw out maybe.

8. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Again, if it's a Contour model, the elbow thickness is the same diameter as the cover disc hole. This allows just enough vertical movement of the cover disc to be raised above the 1 or 2mm thick fixing component hidden underneath. I've no idea what the components are called!

9. lol63

lol63 New Member

As you have said. I think I will have ago at drilling it . then if that don't work I will have to cut it. I have a drill with all different bits so I'm fine with that lol. As for cutting it will a "hacksaw blade " do it ?

10. lol63

lol63 New Member

i would not know what it is lol ... but i am going to give it ago before asking for help.

11. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Does the cover disc, from the left one, lift off over the metal post? They can stick a bit over a long period time because of congealed toilet cleaner fluids, so you may need to get a knife blade (or similar) under the edge in order to prise it off the pan.

12. lol63

lol63 New Member

I have lifted one off .. can’t do the other till I cut/ drill the piece off ..

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  13. lol63

lol63 New Member

Thank you for your help . I shall tackle this either today or tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.