Bathroom radiator/towel rail problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Itsmeuknow, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi
    I had a bathroom radiator/towel rail fitted a few yrs ago. Problem is, it has never work right since. Most of the time doesn't heat at all. Before new radiator it was always on. Have you any ideas as to what could be wrong? The only difference I can tell is the old radiator had one of the pipes on the top, the new one has both at the bottom. I've had a couple of plumbers round in the past and they said there was air in the system. It would work fo abit then stop again. I've done some drawings to try and understand what is going on but I haven't a clue as I'm not a plumber. I'm hoping someone might have a clue and help me out.
    Thanks in advance. Jamie

Attached Files:

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Looks like the pump is on the return but that’s fine.
    The flow to the bathroom radiator would work better if it was taken from the cylinder flow.
    If the pump speed is set correctly then your bathroom radiator flow is taken from a neutral point on the system if your drawing is correct.

3. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

HI Mike
    Thanks for looking. Not a plumber so not really sure what your saying. Is there anything you can see that would make it stop working. The old radiator had a water pipe on the top? Could that have upset the flow?
    Thanks again Jamie

4. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi all
    I have noticed that the pump is very hot to touch. Is this normal? Seem to be pumping ok as the radiators do gt hot. Just wondering if it might be on its way out and might be why my bathroom rad/towel rail doesn't work too well.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Could be the pump or even a blockage.
    The towel radiator isn’t teed in at the correct location so that could be the issue.
    There’s a chance it previously struggled to heat but by having a top connection it helped.

6. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Thanks mike
    The valves at the bottom of the rad/rail what position should they be? Both fully open?