Kitchen upstands

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 25, 2021.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I am fitting some upstands for my new kitchen.

Which I have received today the edge is not pre laminated which I am disappointed with.

Any kitchen fitters on here who can advise? Would I 45 like skirting how to I get a crisp edge. Really disappointed not edged for the price I’ve paid for it. Is this the norm?

thanks in advance

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Do you mean the ends? It is normal because the chance of the upstand being exactly the right length is low to nil and as soon as it is trimmed you lose the finished end anyway. You cut a return mitre to finish the end off.

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

always one edge lands on a end I thought lol.

So cut 45 like skirting snd mitre mate small piece of 45 on?

would that give it a nice finish.

Thankyou

Kitfit and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

Yes

tore81 likes this.
  5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Also for the internal upstands square top do you butt joint, or mitre?

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Internal corners I mean is it just butt in or 45?

7. WillyEckerslike

I would mitre but be careful, it might not be 45 degrees!

tore81 likes this.
  8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thankyou Willie

And I forgot about that as I know the corner isn’t. U just saved me a world of pain. I have the microwave to hide it luckily lol

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

You not finished fitting that kitchen yet ?????? It's been under construction for about six months :D

I'm sure it will be great when you're all done though - all courtesy of the Screwfix forum online kitchen fitting manual :) Photos of your final masterpiece, please.

Spot-on advice from Willy, there.

Get yourself one of these. Absolutely invaluable for skirtings and pretty much any mitre joint. I can't think what I'd do without mine;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/starrett-pro-site-protractor/95044

tore81 likes this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Weekend warrior mate! I’m not in a race to finish.

I was hoping to do a project of the full room!

very pleased with it. Plan was to do as much myself as possibly I’ve hit criticism. time consuming etc Generally from people who can’t do the things I’ve achieved

dry lined myself.
    ceiling boarded.
    1sr fix 2nd fix electrics
    plumbing second fix
    dishwasher
    Washer machine install integrated.
    Full kitchen fit.
    New door lining and architraves skirting board, drodogne door fitted

Very greatful to this group!

CGN and woodbutcherbower like this.
  11. woodbutcherbower

Good on you. I'm sure you've enjoyed doing it, and have acquired many new skills along the way. I think I already said it in one of my other replies to you a good while ago - there's nothing more satisfying than standing back, looking at what you've achieved, and thinking to yourself - "I built that". And as for any criticism over your leisurely pace - you can't rush art, can you?

Don't forget - photos or it didn't happen :)

All the best.

CGN likes this.
  12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thankyou mate, learnt so much

It definetly happend it has given me grey hair lol. But the achievement is very rewarding. Photos pending!!. Coming to an end now Thankgod

Thankyou! For your advice woody

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  13. woodbutcherbower

It wasn't just me, not even close. All the regulars helped out. It's how the forum should be. And FWIW - you've always been given a lot of help because you always, always take the time to come back and say thanks. Others could learn a lot from you.

Take it easy and get some beers loaded into the new fridge.

McSport and tore81 like this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all, so did the mitre end joint this morning. Come up pretty good.

but had a bit of chipping on a few cuts. I was cutting down on the chop saw, I know probably flat may have been better. But I don’t have the slide option on the saw either. Would masking tape be better?

as it’s laminate I need it crisp. Also anyone recommend a better chop saw? I’m thinking of a Xmas present to myself

15. woodbutcherbower

Masking tape won’t be a massive help. It won’t be the saw, mate - it will be the blade. Rule of thumb is the more teeth the blade has - the finer the quality of cut. The Freud blades I use on my saw have 96 teeth and the cuts look like they’ve been done with a laser. Sounds obvious, but the best cut quality also comes from a blade which is sharp.

Also - when you’re cutting small laminated sections like upstands, make sure you’re cutting into the face of the material (i.e. laminate facing towards you as you cut).

Make a note of the following;

Blade diameter
    Blade bore diameter (the hole in the middle)
    Blade kerf (the thickness of the teeth)

Post those numbers up and I’ll have a search around for the best blade for you. Or just let me know the make and model of your saw.

tore81 likes this.
  16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Blade is for a Bosch 240 gcm10

17. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

guessing this blade is past its sell by date.

Attached Files:

18. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

would you still cut upright then? I shouldn’t need the sliding function then

19. woodbutcherbower

That blade looked like Noah knocked up his ark with it :D:D:D:eek:

CGN likes this.
  20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

lol ye I think it’s done it’s work lol. So a blade change should sort it. Had the saw for prob ten years looking to get a new one but can’t decide