Extra charge and time scale

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sld2012, Dec 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sld2012

sld2012 Member

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions.

I hired my former neighbour who is a carpenter to fit my new kitchen, he said it would take six weeks and started work on 05/11/21. 5 weeks on and it it nowhere near completion due to him barely working weekdays and does some weekends and evenings as he has a day job. When he said 6 weeks I assumed he would be working everyday. I bought my kitchen from Wren, the larder unit I opened myself to see what it was like from the inside and found the screw to the pull out rack was fallen and the arm that is attached to the door was off. I kept asking my carpenter to check if it can be fixed before installing it as I could ask Wren within 28 days to replace it. But he installed it without fixing it. I finally phoned Wren on the 27 day and they said they will replace the whole larder. My carpenter now says he will charge me extra for replacing the larder as it shouldn't have been opened before it was installed and it was my fault that it broke! Should he be charging me extra for replacing the unit despite me constantly reminding him to check if he can fix it? As he says it's not his fault it was broken.

Secondly, it doesn't seems like he will finish the work within the started time as the most he has worked in any given week is 3 days, because of his attitude I feel like telling him that if it goes over 6 weeks I am going to start deducting his day rate by the number of days it goes over, would that be wrong? His quote was just sent via email. Please advise.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

what were the terms of his quote - time-cost or fixed price?

3. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sounds like a disasterous arrangement.
    Is the quote much cheaper than you would have gotten elsewhere?

If so, and given that he's doing it around a day job (nobody can do evenings and weekends every day for 6 weeks) it sounds like it's a mates-rates type arrangement and you might just need to bear with it.

If it was me, I would be firm and indicate that I am becoming upset with the situation while remaining as polite and friendly as I could manage.

Re the larder unit, appreciate it's not his fault its broken, but it was his decision to install a broken unit, so what else can he expect but to replace it? I wouldn't be paying extra for that.

sld2012 likes this.
  4. sld2012

sld2012 Member

It was kind of both, £xxx amount... the work will be completed in 6 weeks.

I don't think i would tell him i would deduct his payment if he goes over 6 weeks as he might just not come back or his work might be sub standard. As it is we are not really pleased with his work especially the floor and wall tiling as he had dot and dabbed the tiles instead of covering the whole of the back of the tiles with adhesive/mortar.

5. furious_customer

has he been paid already?

6. sld2012

sld2012 Member

Not sure about it being mates rates although we used to live in the same block of flats about 4 years ago. His qoute was about £800 cheaper than the other quote i received.

Been biting my tongue ever since the job started, i appreciate that no one can work evenings everyday after doing a day job but what annoys us most is that he says he will come over the next day and then doesn't turn up or will come over at about 6 pm just to drop off some stuff.

7. sld2012

sld2012 Member

He has been paid about 80%

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

you cannot really have time cost or fixed price. which one is it? if you arbitrarily refuse to pay you are likely to end up in court and lose.

if you agreed a fixed price but there is slippage on time there isnt too much you can do to be honest - try to negotiate some compensation perhaps?

sld2012 likes this.
  9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I suggest you have a price for the job with an indication of time. I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on if you tried to deduct money for his running over if he went legal on you.

Totally agree with Furious: he has caused the extra work by ignoring your instruction/warning,

At the end of the day you have saved £800 don't forget.

sld2012 likes this.
  10. sld2012

sld2012 Member

I suggest you have a price for the job with an indication of time. Yes i guess that's what i've got.

I wasn't sure if i could legally deduct the money, thats why i asked here before mentioning anything to him, All i want is that he finishes the job within the given time.

I have learnt my lesson the hard way, not to employ someone just based on knowing them but instead look for someone with references and feedback.

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Even with a formal contract allowing for Liquidated Damages for overrun you'd have to demonstrate an actual loss as a result of the delay.

Don't get too hung up on feedback: anyone can write glowing references. Pwrsonal recommendation is always best.

sld2012 likes this.
  12. sld2012

sld2012 Member

I'm just going to let me him carry on as he is... well as long as he comes

13. furious_customer

Well that explains his lack of motivation now - and why he is looking for more money.
    I would politely but firmly keep reminding him that you now need it completed asap.

14. sld2012

sld2012 Member

He wouldnt even buy the extra tiles that he fell short off (due to his caculations) until i paid him the last installment. Going to withhold the balance of 20% until he finishes the work.

15. furious_customer

That would be my approach too - the final 20% will be paid upon satisfactory completion.

sld2012 likes this.
  16. sld2012

sld2012 Member

Update:

My builder came in at 17:45 (yesterday he texted to say he would be here this noon), put on some tiles after working for 2 hours and was about to leave. Asked him what's his plan and he told me it would take a few more days over 6 weeks on asking how many more days his reply was 'how long is a piece of string'!
    My kitchen window needs to be replaced with a smaller one (all included in the quote) so told him he could have ordered the window before the start of the job as there is about 4-5 weeks lead time, if he would have done it then instead of now the window could have been up..... He storms off banging the door saying I'll speak to you tomorrow.... What are the chances he will come back!

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Tell him to do one.

Get someone in that has pride in their work and respect for customers.

18. devnull10

devnull10 Member

Pay him for the work he's done, minus the cost for any remedial work you'll need to have done, and get someone else in.

This is why I NEVER have "mates" or "friends of friends" doing jobs for me.

19. sld2012

sld2012 Member

I think that's going to be my next step if he doesn't turn up today.

We deal with customers everyday but wouldnt dare dream of reacting to one the way my builder did!

We we looking forward to Christmas with our new kitchen and the kids to putting up the tree but that has just gone out of the window (as our kitchen stuff is all over the dowstairs rooms)

20. sld2012

sld2012 Member

He has already been paid 80% which is more than the work he has done, he hasn't even bought the things that he was supposed to supply.