Lights Tripped and Can’t find Issue

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alfie_678, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

Hi,

The rcb tripped which controls stairwell light, main bathroom spot lights, bathroom mirror light, en-suite spot lights, en-suite mirror. When it tripped and I flicked it back on the stairwell light worked fine but all the lights in bathroom and en-suite don’t work at all!! Tried changing all the bulbs but nothing. It doesn’t keep tripping. It only tripped the once and all these lights are off. Any ideas what to try? I did install a new bathroom mirror in the en-suite. It’s worked fine for several days. Took it off wall to check and no loose wires. That’s the only recent change.

Any insights or advice are much appreciated.

thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Definitely an RCB ? Show us a pic of the breaker. Are there any other lights on the circuit that are working ,or is it just the stairwell light ?

Alfie_678 likes this.
  3. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

I have attached an image and pushed the switch back down to show which one it was. So the stairwell definitely works when I flick up back on and it’s definitely off when it’s down. Weird though because the one next to it is labelled staircase but I have double checked. So all en-suite and main bathroom spot lights plus their mirrors are out even when the switch is flicked back on.

Attached Files:

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

The one next to it says socket stairwell.

So when you push it back up does everything work as normal.

5. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

When I push it back up the ceiling light in the stairwell comes back on. The en-suite and bathroom spot lights and their mirror do not. What could that be?

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Hard to say without being there.
    Is there another fused spur maybe above the bathroom door?

Alfie_678 likes this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There is a disconnecton on the circuit ,possibly on the wiring ,or another fuse on the circuit.
    I would take a look at the wiring on the light fitting that works.

Alfie_678 likes this.
  8. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

Thanks. So just the ceiling light in the stairwell works. What would I be looking for in the wiring? Being a stairwell ceiling chandelier that will be fun

9. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

Thanks. I have attached a photo of the only electrics I can find upstairs. This is inside the bathroom cupboard with the hot water cylinder etc. The lower fuse spur I know controls the underfloor heating which is working fine. So that top fuse spur might be something to investigate?

Attached Files:

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

First of all suspect they work you have just done. The new mirror could be faulty.
    Disconnect what you have done.
    Is everything ok then?

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Any isolation switches or fused spurs for ensuite? Pull fuse draw or turn off isolation switches for mirror or extractor fan and see if fuse will set

Next I would look at light switches and all wires are tight and no burning marks as you may find one has come out and earthed or just not tight.
    All you can do is look and see if all looks good and connected.

Then wait for few days to get electrician out.

I can't help wonder if there is anything on that circuit like outside light or loft light? Have a look above and do wires look OK, as I'm thinking about mice. Any transformers on lights? Do they look OK?

Alfie_678 likes this.
  12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is there loft space above the bathrooms ,where wiring for lighting circuits are ? If so ,have you been up in the loft recently ?

13. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

Thanks for advice. Ok so slightly worrying situation. I have my trusty AC Voltage Detector that has NEVER failed me so far. It goes from 1 to 6 bars where it goes to 6 if you put it right next to a live mains wire. When I walk in the En-Suite it goes to 3 bars in the air! Never done this nor does it do it in any other room. Also all the spot lights, extractor fan and new mirror it instantly goes to max 6 bars if you hold it near but I have just switched off the circuit breaker for that room! I did this to check the new mirror as advised but it's still live so I daren't go near it?

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Had you turned off the breaker for the lights ,and the volt pen still lit up ?
    They are not the most reliable things at the best of times.
    Please answer the above.

Alfie_678 likes this.
  15. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

No not been up there recently. We only moved into this house in June. We did have a full EICR done when we moved in which failed and we had to have a load of works doing to get it to pass including replacing the main fuse box I imaged earlier. It is a very old cottage (200 years +) and there is very little loft head room - it would be more crawling than stranding and walking around. I can certainly give it a go. What would I be looking for?

16. Alfie_678

Alfie_678 Member

I can definitely have a go at going into the loft - as per my last post not been up there yet as haven't lived there long. What would I be looking for?

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Those wands are unreliable and pick up phantom readings.

It will go berserk on a live wire so that good but it's picking up neutral or static. Had demonstration where it was pointed out the failed results with demo with beeping on dead cables..

18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Look at cables. Look for transformers and are they 12v on lights. Maybe one has died but all you can do is look and see if loft light works and looks OK and all cables look OK. Maybe you might find a bodge up and tape it up diy electrics effort. You don't want to make things worse but just a visual inspection.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Those magic wands can give unreliable results. At worst they can lie to you and tell you there is voltage when there isn’t. They can also tell you that there isn’t a voltage present when there is.

Also (I hope you know this) for a circuit to work you need a live and a neutral. A magic wand won’t tell you if you have got, or haven’t got, a neutral.

Really, I’ll repeat, as it all worked fine until you installed that mirror. Reverse what you have done and see if everything else then works.

GRH likes this.
  20. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Possibly a 3-amp fuse blown in a switched fused connection unit supplying the lights and extractor fan, it could be in the loft.