Converting surface mounted to in Wall plugs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Movieman334, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi guys did anybody have any recommendations on how to proceed with converting mounted plug boxes to in Wall ones

This is what thhey are currently like

3210mb-12.jpg

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Just be prepared to do the making good ,plastering / painting etc, around each one . If the walls are brick/ block it's much harder than if the walls are stud ( plasterboard on timber). And take great care not to damage the cables when breaking out the space for the back box's.

Movieman334 likes this.
  3. Movieman334

4. Movieman334

This is a current back box set in the house , note idiot tenant broke this one

20211219_143830.jpg

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Fitting the sockets is the easy bit !

Movieman334 likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If the walls tiled ,I would just fit another surface mounted box ( unless you intend to re tile anyway)

Movieman334 likes this.
  7. Movieman334

Nah they are
    nah they are all wall paper ,

8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I would blame the idiot who fitted a surface mount socket so close to floor level rather than the tennant.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  9. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

If it's a solid wall, then the easiest way is to drill a series of holes in the wall at the same depth as the backbox (Prob 25mm) and then chip out the block. The difficulty with this is making sure that you don't damage the cables and the cable entry to be in the correct place for the knockout hole.

If it's a plasterboard wall, then it's fairly simple and just a case of cutting the slot in the plaster and avoiding the joists. However it's unlikely to be plasterboard as if it was then you wouldn't be likely to have surface boxes.

Most important thing to keep in mind is to protect the cables and make sure that you turn the power off before starting any work.

It's not a hard job, just be aware that you'll probably need to tidy up & decorate around each of the sockets after the job is done. You might be lucky and be able to get away with just fitting some socket surrounds and not needing to decorate.

10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If they are flat plate then you will need 35mm back boxes

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Buy an Armeg box sinking kit ...

It is not a clean task - better off waiting and doing each room as you redecorate.

12. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

My whole house has these. Built in the 1950’s and no idea why they were done that way. Thought they’d really bug me but as I’ve decorated each room I’ve painted each box in the same emulsion to match the wall and used decent quality brushed stainless face plates. Don’t even notice them and a lot less work. Only ones I’ll sink in are the kitchen ones as they do look really obvious sat on the surface of the tiles.

13. Movieman334

very true, idiot electrician and idiot tenant, both idiots. any way I'm going to un idiot these 2 and this situation :) lol

14. Movieman334

this looks briliiant but bloody expensive

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You won’t have any joy on brick, ok on soft block.

Sparkielev likes this.
  16. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Some bricks they are fine, engineering bricks, no chance.

If doing a full redecorate, then a small angle grinder plus SDS drill and wide chisel.

CGN likes this.
  17. Movieman334

Thanks guys. Shah damn I don't have a sds drill . Hmm I don't wanna. Buy one if only need for one day .

What do.you guys think about the following

1. Draw the outline of the box
    2. Drill little holes eg 4 x 3 like.this video

3. Then use something like.this scutch tool to.chisel out the box shape
    https://www.toolstation.com/draper-scutch-chisel/p18718?

Note I've got 6 or 7 in total

18. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

It’ll do the job but for £40 all in just buy a cheap angle grinder and a diamond cutting disc. Don’t underestimate the amount of dust. Few seconds in and you’ll be barely able to see what you’re doing. Dust goes everywhere. Have a vacuum to catch as much as you can. Horrible way to do it but it works.

The Titan wall chasing tool is decent. About £100 and genuinely good dust extraction. Make a much quicker and cleaner job of it but at a price.

19. Movieman334

Ohhhhh I know all about dust . It's ridiculous. I think you're right better to have vaccine cleaner on hand.

I have an angle grinder , this guys done a video using angle grinder

20. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If you are unsure about doing this, then buy trunking socket boxes they don't shatter and are better than the cheap bakerlite boxes