Accuracy for panel moudling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Jan 3, 2022.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

I'm probably over thinking this but when doing panel moudling, like pic attached, how accurate does one need to be.

I'm using a laser level horizontal and vertical and using spacer blocks (from scrap MDF) between panels but in some places its off by say 1 to 3mm. Probably down to my mitre saw cuts, pencil marking and tape measuring being off slightly.

When I stand back and look it all looks fairly straight and neat to the eye. But wondering if there is a degree of accuracy carpenters who do this stuff all the time work within?

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Needs to be spot on....personal pride every time! :)...if it looks wrong it is wrong!

It's not the tools it's the operator.:(

Are you pre making the frames or making as you fit.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  3. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Doesn't look exactly wrong but I know its off by a mm or two.

I'm making as I fit. Measuring, cutting and fitting top first and then bottom of panel, then that would leave me both left and right sides both exact same height or at least I thought so. Only for me to find I have fit the bottom maybe 1 or 2 mm off ever so slightly.

Is it better to premake?

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Premake them as pairs ,that’s what I do

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

As pairs?

You mean top and bottom or top and right/left?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

034.jpg 035.jpg

Similar idea 15 odd years back, wall framed out in 6mm MDF with panel molding to frame the panels then used an Anaglypta wood effect textured paper to cover it all over.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    CGN likes this.
  7. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Measuring each cut individually is very time consuming. Personally I would have cut everything first then fix together. If it looks right to the eye then its fine.

8. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Nice...though that wood effect paper isn't exactly my cup of tea ha. Was probably popular 15 odd years back.

9. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Yeah for the other walls my strategy is to measure and cut everything first. All four sides then fix to the wall using grab adhesive and nails.

Here is the result so far where its off according to the laser level, though doesn't look it. It will all be painted one colour, moulding walls skirting and even door.

Attached Files:

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have made panels on other jobs using fairly large Astragal Molding in a Gothic Victorian property.

11. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Looks a fine job

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think you are as you said...over thinking, looks fine from the photo. You are relying on the wood to be as best can be as in twists, warps etc.

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Did you see the alternative suggestion I put forward for your shelf? Kidding. Your skirting board.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes....that's been shelved! :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That will look great all in one colour as painting the skirting will give it height.

16. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Haha you got the users mixed up. I'm the skirting guy. And yes I did and much appreciated. Though I think using 3mm and 12mm boards will be a lot more work. My plan is to use 15mm architrave on top of 18mm MDF boards for skirting. Will get some 15mm architrave sample this week when the online suppliers open back up. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers ;)

17. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Yes I'm doing double actually, pine decorative moulding about 33mm outside frame and mini astragal about 21mm on inside.

Astramax likes this.
  18. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Yes just have to finish all this panelling, caulking each and every edge inside and outside, fill in the many dozen nail holes with two part filler, sand it smooth, then prime/seal it (BIN), undercoat it (acrylic primer) before those final two coats can go on. Gosh how do you professionals manage to do all this in a reasonable time :(

Reckon this will take me a good few weeks as I won't be at it full time every day.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Would be interested to see a photo when you have finished.:)

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  20. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Tops and bottoms ,then sides cut as a pair against each other