Plunge saw query..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Jan 5, 2022.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Ripped a load of joists down today with not the ideal blade, 40 tooth. I could have forced the cut a few times. On the last cut it seemed to be labouring and poss slowed down. Just checked the bushes and they seem ok with plenty of length. Looked at motor vents earlier on and there were a few blue flashes nothing major. Could it just be overheating or could it need a new motor or is it armature? Will try it again tomorrow.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Armature burnout causes noisy rough running in vacuum motors I know.
    How dose it run after cooling?

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. John Bunyan

I'll run it again today and update tonight

4. John Bunyan

I ran it yesterday but didn't get round to using it. It seemed ok apart from the intermittent blue flashes when you look through the vent at motor. So I'll see how it cuts next week. Got a 16 tooth blade now. So is an armature a motor? Not knowledgeable with motors.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Blue flashes are normal with brushed motors.
    Only brushless motors don't flash.

John Bunyan and Astramax like this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s worth giving the commutator a clean up and service which is easy to do

This is the copper segmented ring that the brushes make contact with

In normal use, the carbon brushes wear down and leave dusty deposits inside the machine casing - which you see with a machine that’s been well used and has had some brush wear and/or changes

Carbon deposits can also form on the commutator, leading to poor conductivity between brushes and motor, which equals a dip in power and performance and may also cause sparking, as your seeing

Just look up ‘commutator cleaning’ (or such) on YouTube and give it a go - basically wire wool and/or super fine wet and dry paper is all that’s needed

Good luck - worth a try

John Bunyan likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As @Wayners...best to replace the brushes................sourced DeWalt brushes from ebay 3 years ago no problem.

John Bunyan likes this.
  8. John Bunyan

I can't see anywhere where Wayners mentioned replacing bushes

9. John Bunyan

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I was in screwfix and this gas fitter was kicking off regarding sparks from dewalt drill and how dangerous it was being he was a gas fitter.
    Hum.
    They took it for repair but that's normal and I thought all sorts while this guy played up. He should of known better about tools plus not blowing himself up.
    I can smell gas. Right I'll start drilling.

longboat and John Bunyan like this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I wrote...As @Wayners.....(re flashes and brushed motors).....then I wrote the next thing for you to investigate and do!

John Bunyan likes this.
  12. John Bunyan

I can see what you mean. No one should be making sparks indoors when there is a gas leak or gas in the air to the extent that it smells. Apart from that how can a spark from a drill ignite gas if it's not there.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

....tis your brushes.

John Bunyan likes this.
  14. John Bunyan

So is there ever a situation where brushless motors flash?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What make and model is the plunge saw?

John Bunyan likes this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

But not necessarily ,,,,,,,

OP mentioned he’s got ‘plenty of length’ (brushes I assume) ? :)

He also mentioned been putting the saw under strain as likely cutting timbers with the wrong blade so this causes some heat to build up within the motor

Could be a combination of worn brushes and a dirty/burnt commutator or just one or the other. Both easy to fix and inexpensive (unless the commutator is totally destroyed)

A quick inspection will confirm the above and/or post pictures

Important to not mix and match the brushes in their holders when removing and replacing with the same brushes - ie, remove and return to same holder as each one will have a unique wear pattern

This is for individually mounted brushes where the brush holders remain as part of the tool. Some replacement brushes come complete with holders and mounted complete on a ‘card’ where you replace the lot

John Bunyan likes this.
  17. John Bunyan

I do appreciate your help by the way

ElecCEng and Astramax like this.
  18. John Bunyan

Astramax, it's the standard Makita 6000 240v

19. John Bunyan

@DIYDave. Thanks. I'm glad to hear it may not be expensive to fix. Bare in mind it may be ok if it can temporarily overheat and slow down. I pretty much just finished cutting when it happened and haven't had chance to cut with it again since. I did start it up yesterday and it seemed ok but I couldn't tell if it was noisier or sounded rougher. I may cut with it tomorrow but certainly Monday. I hear what your saying and will look on YouTube for how to do what you said. Is that what part of a service would be?

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I had another similar problem 20 + years ago with an ELU MOF router....the problem was the on/off switch full of sticky dust, once replaced it was fine.