UPVC Fitting Advice

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Skye21, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Hi everyone,

I’m just looking for a bit of advice from somebody in the know please.

We’re in the process of renovating a house and the company we’ve used for windows, we’ve had a lot of issues with! To cut a long story short their final job was to fit a bay window, it took us 8 months to get them back to do the job & once finished, it looked like I’d had a go myself:(

There are numerous problems with it. One of the lesser issues is with the sill. They’ve used a pre cast sill, to fit they cut it in half & then covered the join with a cover that they made from an off cut (as per photo). One of the corner mitres is also out. I queried it but they’re saying nothing can be done, the bay has 2 steel supports in the front corners & they’re telling me cutting the sill was the only way to get it in.

I’ve lost all confidence in them & I’m not wholly convinced it’s been measured correctly. I’ve never seen a bay with a join in the centre of the sill but I’m not a window fitter. Can anybody advise, am I being too picky?

Thanks in advance!

upload_2022-1-7_20-31-19.jpeg BEB9BF38-427C-430E-A825-AA4F1DCC184E.jpeg

2. SGM18

SGM18 Member

Oh dear! Doesn’t look great does it! Does the other side match with the mitred corner? Might help it if it’s symmetrical. As with the join, I’ve only seen it on really long sills. Have the just used two off cuts to use them up, or not having the right length sill on the van. I don’t wanna **** anyone off, but you can get some real cowboys with upvc, I guess you can in any trade. I had a window fitter wanting to fit some plastic sash style windows in two halves, meaning I’d be left with nearly 6inches of plastic horizontal in the middle of my main feature window, safe to say he didn’t get the job.

can you get some second opinions and get them to come and tidy it?

3. SGM18

SGM18 Member

I mean if the join is really there for good reason, they’ve put it inline with that pillar

4. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Thanks for the reply. No it’s not a good job, the fitting has been terrible throughout, the fitters seem very inexperienced. These 2 are only minor annoyances really which I would’ve probably overlooked if the rest of the job had been good. It honestly looks like a DIY job!
    The other mitre is where it should be but the whole thing isn’t symmetrical. The sill was pre cast & made by the manufacturer, they cut it in half when fitting.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Few more pics might help to get an idea what the other side is like and why the cut the sill

6. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Hi thanks for your reply. The fitters came back yesterday & apparently this is the best they can do. It doesn’t look symmetrical & seems to be running out all over the place. I've taken these, I don’t know if they’re of any help.
    It’s not been a cheap job, as mentioned I’m not a fitter but to me it still doesn’t look good. Many thanks

Attached Files:

7. sally green

sally green Active Member

Do they belong to FENSA or similar body and if so you can contact them for help.

8. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    They’re FENSA registered, I could try & contact them.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

What are you expecting though, realistically? The window is in and hopefully water tight and once the next job is started it will be forgotten.

10. sally green

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    They’re FENSA registered, I could try & contact them.

=============
    That's ok Skye21
    FENSA registered, that is if their registration is up to date and you can check that beforehand via the FENSA site will act as the honest brokers is my understanding.

So, check if they do indeed have a valid FENSA re and if so call them.

If the double glazing people have been around for years, you may want to check their reviews on Trustpilot/Google etc.
    If they have been around for years and have pretty decent reviews and you've done your best to get it resolved but they are being unhelpful,
    you may want to leave a review, a very honest review, concise and factual and this may get them to get their finger out but keep
    it factual.
    NB: Contact FENSA first and give them a few days and my feeling is it may be resolved.

Slightly OT but an ex of mine was a double glazing installer and he told me that FENSA only covers certain items, ie windows and not doors or conservatories - the FENSA site will have accurate in - I will get link and post below

I'm sure your call to FENSA will help but your choice.

https://www.fensa.org.uk/about-fensa

Good luck

Skye21 likes this.
  11. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Ideally a professional job, which is why we brought a company in to do it.
    It’s not just the sill that’s only a minor issue, we’ve got damaged / distorted frames & it’s not symmetrical. It maybe watertight but it looks shoddy & as it’s on the front of the house it can’t be missed.

12. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

Thank you for the information, that’s greatly appreciated.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

of course, but if it took them 8 months to do the job when you were paying them to do it, it seems likely to be an uphill battle to get them to do it again (probably just as badly) at their expense.

14. sally green

No worries Skye21 as I just hope it works out for you.
    A friend used FENSA and she said they help

One other point, check if they belong to any other organisation and if they do it will be on their letterhead

If I was you, FENSA first and see what they say, then if you need to consider the other options but one at a time.
    Make a note of when you rang them/left message, who with etc but hopefully FENSA will help resolve before you
    are put through any more unnecessary stress/etc.

Take care and good luck

Skye21 likes this.
  15. Skye21

Skye21 New Member

You too, thank you!