Washing machine E20 - no blockages

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by SarahJQ1000, Jan 12, 2022.

1. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Hello, I have no background in DIY or repairs but my washing machine stopped draining and displayed an E20 error. Didn't notice any weird noises or anything and sounded like pump was doing something as normal. Some water drained initially then nothing.

Checked ubend, checked waste pipe, (no filter on this machine), checked pump and pump filter thing - can't find a blockage anywhere.

Does this mean my pump needs replacing? Don't want to waste money buying a pump if it's fine, but also don't want to pay for an engineer if the pump is the problem.

Don't have the tools to test the pump and not sure how to tell if it's faulty.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If you have no background in repairs or tools to do the repair, than getting an engineer out is your only option.

on pumps, on most machines you can replace just the motor or the whole unit including the impeller, housing and connecting hoses. Cost of a genuine pump (I am using Bosch as an example) is around £60 with pattern (independent manufacturers) parts around £40 and just the motor around £20.

put it on spin only and see if it functions.

three issues with pumps ( I am assuming it’s not jammed, the impeller should move freely when you checked the housing for debris) , motor issue, broken impeller or rarely the control board.

you need to put the machine on its side and pump is accessible from bottom

3. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Thanks so much for this speedy response.

It doesn't seem to be jammed - the impeller moves with a little resistance but it seems that's normal (I don't think I can open up the pump further to check if anything stuck inside the pump chamber).

Spin works but draining doesn't.

Maybe engineer is best bet, machine is 3 yo and out of warrantee.

4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

What make/model?

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sounds like a pump and can be easy job. Mine you don't needs tools just lay machine on side. Pull pipes off. Pull cable off. Half twist pump and it comes off. Twist new pump on and reconnect power and pipes and your done but this is our machine.

When I ordered a new pump it was the updated version so I needed a screwdriver to take 4 screws off the machine case and extend the power cable a bit. The new pump came with filter and front plastic housing and was £24 ish.
    Still only took 10 mins.
    Ours has two yellow cables and don't matter how they are connected as pump spins either way. You can watch big clive on youtube take one apart. Odd type of motors.
    They can fail normally around 5 years old I find but had an older machine that lasted over 10.

6. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Make/model is Zanussi Lindo 300, ZWF91283W

Thanks for the replies, very helpful

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I recently changed one on a Siemens, the impeller had broken and come away from the shaft but the motor itself was fine. First time I could not work out why as motor was spinning and impeller turned without resistance. Only when I had another feel I noticed it had a curious wobble and turning it did not produce the notchy feel as motor poles aIign. I had to get a complete unit from Bosch , but replacing is easy. Two screws, two circlips and plug the wire back. 10mins max. This one was 13years old.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  8. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Thanks so much all. I've ordered a new pump so hopefully that'll fix it.