Two 16A ovens on a 32A MCB ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Atomad, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Atomad

Atomad New Member

Currently have a 16A oven on it's own dedicated 32A MCB. Can I add another 16A oven next to the original and use the same 32A supply, obviously with own switches etc? Would get an electrician to do it, but want to know whether it's permitted or a straight no-no.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As long as the supply cable is 6mm (or bigger) it will be ok.

3. Ad_g

Ad_g Active Member

It’s come up a few times on here.

I have the belt and braces approach in my kitchen. 32A feed to metal Consumer Unit in cupboard next to ovens, 16A MCB to each oven.

It has also been discussed using a twin outlet box off the 32A feed to connect both in and that that was ok as all fixed cabling.

Approach may depend on what manufacturer says for install, do they expect a 16A fuse/MCB.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It doesn't need its own switch. Just install a dual appliance connector plate to replace the existing connector plate on the wall.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

What's wrong with 4mm?

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

He doesnt have any on the van......!

7. Atomad

Atomad New Member

Prefer to able to isolate one of the ovens for when the grill element fails and it trips the breaker. That way I can still use the other oven.

8. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

How often do you pop the elements?