Festool vs matika?. Or other Any advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Westforester, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Westforester

Westforester Member

Hi.
    I'm looking to buy a sander and dust extractor I refinish furniture and want to bring my sanding inside. I've been recommended festool repeatedly, my reservations are the huge cost and that the smallest sander is a bit big for me (I currently use a detail sander).

Does anyone use sanders/extractor indoors? Any advice?. Thankyou

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes I'm festool
    Rts 400 I guess you need. The warranty is amazing as they pick up and return.

3. sheddyeddie

sheddyeddie New Member

Aldi do good sanders but quite expensive so if you are not looking for the cheapest try there. Mine cost me £7.99 and its worth it

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

No offence, but you're at the complete opposite end of the spectrum

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Also I should mention mirka. I'm festool but mirka make good kit.
    If you contact reps they have test kit you can try. Get sanders and extractor and give it all a test run

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve got a bosch gsm160. Good little sander that has 3 interchangeable bases. I did have an issue with it about 9 months in, but Bosch picked it up for free and sent me a new one including the case and accessories. So I now have a brand new sander, 2 cases and 2 lots of bases!

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

It's the troll again mate

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Don't know how I fell for that one!

9. BiancoTheGiraffe

I had to go and look at it's other posts to be sure...

10. Westforester

Westforester Member

Thanks, how could I find a rep?

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Contact head offices for both mirka and festool.
    They will advise.
    They often have demos at trade shows around the country but that's not been happening last two years so much. I did play with mirka sander at Coventry in November at painting show but no festool stand this year
    There are also trade centres with demo equipment around the country and my nearest is Swindon I think. You might have one near you, again they will advise

12. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

99% of the time ,as far as tools are concerned, you get what you pay for. If you want the best, its cheaper in the long run. Don't ask me how I know.

13. BiancoTheGiraffe

Festool stuff is nice, but I've yet to see the benefit of spending twice as much on that rather than Makita...