Would you hire an “ The Apprentice” candidate ?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by quasar9, Jan 21, 2022.

1. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I laugh when I see the annual parade of hopeful, or should it read hopeless candidates for the process ! I know it’s an entertainment show, edited for laughs, but bar a few, most candidates appear to be a lost cause !

They could not possibly organise a “party” in a brewery, sorry I meant a work event, without having a detailed instructions which for whatever reason they can’t read or implement.

Yesterday, one said, Malachite is the strongest crystal ever invented, with all sorts of magical properties. Invented ! It’s a naturally occurring copper based mineral, which existed long before the dinosaurs arrived !:eek:

I would not trust them to sweep up after me :D

FlyByNight likes this.
  2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Every year the candidates get dumber and dumber. It's more about entertainment value now, most of them look and act like wannabe reality TV "stars", and seem to have the brains to match. The early seasons had more people who genuinely had business experience and common sense.

That said, it's still a guilty pleasure to watch

quasar9 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The only one laughing big time is £ord $ugar......:p:p:D:D:D;)

4. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

5. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Definetely reality TV wannabe's rather than aspirational business people.
    I'm sure it' sonly a matter of time before we have a swimsuit round.

Perhaps a task to sell beach equipment or similar - something instagrammable.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You sweep up?

Astramax likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I don't either ever since I bought a leaf blower. :cool:

Sparkielev likes this.
  8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Not just swept but hoovered and wet wiped too! The floor looks so clean and shiny they focus on this ;)

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

We must all keep focused on one relevant factor here, IT IS TELEVISION !

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  10. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Yes it’s TV, but would you go on it knowing whatever you did or did not do will be edited in such a way as to make one look thick as a plank ! Unless one sincerely believes any publicity is good publicity !

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  11. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I don't think they have to edit it to achieve that with some of them, Lol........

12. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

It is spoilt for me now since it is the candidates own business idea that comes up trumps in the end.

You could have the most clever and sensible (and normal) candidate but if their business plan is pants, then 'you're fired'..........

I used to be able to guess, almost every time which candidate was for the chop. Not so easy now.

13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

When it comes to basic maths the level of understanding is shocking ! Good help them if they had to do any material and time estimations.

in an early series, one candidate ordered a van load of topping for pizzas. Sugar estimated that they needed to sell an 18” pizza every few minutes, or load up toppings 3 inches high. Naturally , most of it got binned and the team made a loss and lost !

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I will offer to get Hoover out van ( don't have one ) most reply is no you worked hard I will do it, me agreeing with them

Astramax likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A van? :p

Sparkielev likes this.
  16. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Ah yes she who lead her team to failure in a task making a drink when she er... owns a cocktail bar! the genius that she is didn't even put herself on the manufacturing sub team (I'm presuming she has a talent at making drinks by the nature of her business)

According to the TV paper she is also a practicing witch, so she should have a broom and therefore be ready to get sweeping, but don't be too hasty, if you are a spark the NICEIC will throw you out for such crimes as tidying up.

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A bunch of self promoting narcissists, useless in every way, but thats TV

Sparkielev likes this.
  18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I just had to have a chuckle to myself when i watched "Sugar's" and "Trump's" comments about each other earlier in the thread.
    Trump inherited most of his fortune and then frittered it away, that's a fact. How much he might be worth now is anyone's guess because he is an habitual liar and a fraudster with very strong links to the Mafia(so actually may be worth less than my ginger tom)
    Sugar on the other hand is a self made business man worth about £1.2bn. The thing is though, even Sugar has been a complete idiot in the past. In the late 1980's when Amstrad computers had half the entire EU market, he was approached by a software company from the US to run it's operating system on Amstrad computers.
    The cost ? nothing. That's right, Bill Gates offered Alan Sugar Windows for nothing............Sugar turned him down.
    At this moment in time Bill Gates is still worth $134.5bn and that's after being retired for god knows how long and giving away countless billions.
    If Sugar had taken up Bill Gates offer, he wouldn't be worth £1.2bn now............................Maybe £50/£60bn..................................................what a ****.

19. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

A couple of additions to kitfits posting.

Bill gates originally bought out an text based operating system called CP/M made a few tweaks and called it MS-DOS. Windows 1.0 to 3.11 were graphical shells that ran on top of MS-DOS. Even windows 95 had elements of MS-DOS although by now semi integrated.

IBM, which is normally very proprietary and made everything from hardware to software, for reasons still completely unclear, decided a) to make hardware design open so anyone could clone it and b) decided not to write its own operating system but used Bill gates MS-DOS, although labelling it IBM-DOS.

If Digital Research had not sold CP/M to Gates, who knows how he might have fared. His second and bigger break came via IBM. If you watch dragons den, you will find plenty of examples of a Dragon making a success of their purchase, but also where they have failed. Rarer are those they have rejected which have gone on independently to become roaring success !