Rising energy prices

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by spen123, Feb 3, 2022.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

How on earth can this be allowed to happen?
    House holds are already struggling and most haven't recovered financially from covid.
    They have announced a £350 help scheme but want £200 paid back in £40 installments.
    This is only going to end one way and thats disaster.
    More families applying for loans and more poverty.

2. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

There will be a fair few inflatable hot tubs for sale shortly....

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It's called the free market ... something pretty much every western democracy is pretty proud of.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Sadly the things that could have been done have been missed, namely reducing the VAT from 5% to zero, giving an average saving (based on £1400 p/a) £75. Removing green levy would have yielded £250, much of it wasted by utilities through greenwash.

so called council tax rebate of £150, won’t really help the poor pensioners. They are living on a restricted income that’s not going to be going to go up in line with inflation. But worse, many bought their houses years ago when they had kids and most of these family homes are in band E and F, where no discount applies.

last but not least, Britains negotiation position with OPEC is weak. As part of a larger economic group, you hold some power but alone you are at mercy at whatever they want to charge. Although US is diverting LNG tankers from China to UK, we are nevertheless paying spot gas prices.

MJ123 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Since the 'Thatcher era' we rely heavily on gas as our primary energy source. This was a big mistake that has left us open to manipulation by outside forces If we are to control our energy costs, our energy must be sourced from within the UK from a provider with the best interests of energy users at the heart of the company. This will most likely mean accepting nuclear energy, not the dinosaurs currently being built bit the molten salt reactors as used by the military in submarines, small and inherently stable. But they don't make weapon grade plutonium. We should also be increasing our reliance on coal, burnt in new clean coal fired stations with flue gas scrubbers. This will probably be a government owned system, 'Nationalization' by any other name.
    While the 'give away of £150 etc is welcome, it is rewarding failure in the energy sector.

quasar9 and stevie22 like this.
  6. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

HI
    Well I have just been digging some fence post holes.
    Couple of more inches deep and I would hit coal.
    Tempted lol
    Newcastle here

Johnny M

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If you do hit a coal seam
    A) it will be taken over by the coal board or the crown !. They have exclusive mining right over the whole of UK
    B) Some angry people may start camping outside your house , naturally burning rubbish to keep warm :D

8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Q9

Oh very true.
    You may not be old enough BUT
    There was a "Geordie" type TV program years ago.
    "When the boat comes in."
    About the miners being on the 26 strike I think it was.
    It was centred around the NE
    The old miners removed the floor in one of there rooms.
    And started hueing coal and sharing it around the neighbours.
    That was stopped by law as the were stealing it
    Cant win.
    Wind generators any one ?

Johnny M

magicmerlin and gadget man like this.
  9. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

I know I’m honestly really worried and don’t know what to do hence I’ve been looking at alternative fuel options.

I work from home 3 days a week and it’s tempting to go into the office 5 days….. just so I can sit in their boiling office because when I get home I don’t want to turn on the heating.

in all seriousness it’s going to be a disaster.
    Is it worth jumping up a fixed rate now? I can get 8p a unit for gas with So Enegry but I’ve not even heard of them and worried they will go bust. I’m also waiting to see if Shell have a fixed tariff.

really I need internal/external insulation fitting.

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Buy shares in Solar Panel companies!

Astramax likes this.
  11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Jamel, you said

“Wind generators any one ?

Sadly no to that too. You need planning permission from your local authority, CAA, various countryside and green belt quangos etc etc. even solar panels on your own roof needs LA approval.

Never watched it but I just about remember the end of “when the boat comes in” something about fishy, for me it was time to go to bed.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also ALDI & LIDL :confused:

Teki likes this.
  13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wood burner may be an option?

14. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Koolpc Wood burner may be an option?

Well interesting you should mention that.
    I had a good lot of garden fencing blow down a couple of weeks ago.
    I cut it up into meanable lengths .
    I went down to the local allotments near me to tell them the
    timber was there if they wanted it for their burners in the huts
    I was informed that they are not allowed to burn timber now because of
    orders from the council regarding Green requirements.
    They are only allowed to burn coke or gas which is to expensive,
    Are we really not taking this to far ???
    It seems so to me.

Johnny M

15. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

@JOMEL @quasar9 :
    "Thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy,
    Thou shalt have a fishy when the boat comes in."

I'd probably go psycho if I had to relieve those childhood sundays lol

16. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Well. Energy prices change. It's not just us, its all over the place. In the eu they're paying about 0.2 euros per kwh, in the UK it'a about £0.185. Globally energy prices generally are expected to rise for the next few years. Our successive governments seem to me to have failed to back nuclear energy. I hope the SMR initiative from RR and others will make a difference, it's supposed to be on target "for the 2030s, but that's a way off from now. We won't be suddenly starting to use coal for power generation again, that's for sure. It would be very good to see much more of a push on domestic installation of external information, but costs need to be controlled to prevent abuse of grants.

I guess it's get used to using less energy and wear more clothes, as people used. Have the house at 16-18C and put a nice jumper on.

17. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

It's OK for occasional extra heat, I guess, but the fuel cost for most people will be too high. Plus it's environmentally bad, in terms of sourcing firewood, transport and pollution (particulates).

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I used to have one in a previous property. Sourced all my own wood, free.

nigel willson and gadget man like this.
  19. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I've got one now. I also get all my own wood, free. I've got a couple of stacks ouside each about 3.5m3 , under tarpaulins. Most people cannot do that though.

Were I to use the stove for general heating, I would need about 6 or 7 stacked cubic metres per year (nearly 2 cords for North Americans), which might be rather more than £1,000 were I to buy it (for 5kW 12 hours a day over 4 months).

20. magicmerlin

magicmerlin New Member

Planning Permission
    The installation of solar panels and equipment on residential buildings and land may be 'permitted development' with no need to apply to the Local Planning Authority for planning permission. There are, however, important limits and conditions, detailed on the following pages, which must be met to benefit from these permitted development rights.

You should discuss with the Local Planning Authority for your area whether all of the limits and conditions will be met.