Washing Machine trips RCD

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by WM1973, Feb 20, 2022.

1. WM1973

WM1973 New Member

Hi,

Our washing machine (Indesit PWDE 8148) didn’t take too kindly to the power cuts from yesterday’s storm, and now repeatedly trips the RCD in the fuze box. Just plugging it in is enough to make it happen. So now it has wet laundry inside and the door is locked, with no way to apply power for long enough even for the latch to unlock. (I’ve fully drained it, but that hasn’t helped).

I can probably get to the catch by taking the top off (would have to de-stack it from under the dryer…) but I’m wondering about the electrical repair, and whether something expensive like the PCB is the likely culprit. The machine is over 13 years old now so if the repair is likely to be a big one then I might conclude that its time has come and replace it.

Has anyone had this happen, or any idea what the fix might be?

Thanks,

W.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

At 13 years old ,it's not worth trying to repair.
    I would have thought the door lock would release if the drum was emptied of water and power dead .

WM1973 likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I expect the door would release if power is off too

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How did you drain the water? On some older machines, the door lock is released when all water has been emptied from the drum.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

WM1973 likes this.
  6. WM1973

WM1973 New Member

There’s a water outlet on the front, at the very bottom, behind a fascia. There wasn’t much in there anyway, not enough to come up to the door level. It sounds like the mechanism that carries out the door release function you’re describing died with everything else.

7. WM1973

WM1973 New Member

Muzungu likes this.
  8. WM1973

WM1973 New Member

Yeah, I think at this age, you’re right. Time to go shopping!