Laminate worktop joints and plinths

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Hajirah, Apr 10, 2022.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Now that I've seen those pictures I would say replace the worktops whatever the effect on the tiling.

2. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Tiling was not done by Wickes, so would have to call my own tiler back again if any damage is caused, if worktops are replaced. I would expect Wickes to pay for the damage and labour costs of getting any tiles replaced!

I'm starting to question whether the fitter has secured/ sealed the sinks correctly in the worktops! There are two sinks - one in the kitchen, one in the utility room. Any way I can check to make sure no water damage is being caused to the worktops around/ under the sinks?

There are no joins near the sinks, which is good.

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

post up pictures and we can advise. look under the sink to see how it has been fixed to the worktop. probably just stuck in with silicone...

any electrical work carried out? do you have certificates for that?

photo 4 on previous page - your fitter doesnt know how to join worktops.. there should be no lip. the lip exposes the core of the lower piece and will blow with dampness. a competent DIYer can produce better results - I know as I have.

4. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Wickes have said previously that they won't have any other fitters free until the end of the year/ next year. I find that hard to believe - surely if they offer one of their fitters extra money to work evenings/ weekends - one of them would say yes!

But they said the above with regards to the other small issues which need fixing. They haven't said anything regarding the worktops yet. The only thing they have said regarding the worktops is: 'installer said worktops were fine when he was there'...

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Have a feel inside the sink cutout underneath the sinks. If you can feel the bare chipboard core and there is no sealant on it (PVA, Silicon ect), then the core isn't sealed.

6. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Pictures one and two are of the utility room sink.

Pictures three and four are of the kitchen sink (hard to pitcure around the edges, as the sink is quite big and deep).

Electrical work: I had a double electric oven installed, had the socket/switch for the extractor fan moved so it was hidden behind the fan, and not on the wall next to it. Had 1 socket and 2 switches moved, as they were previoialy behind the utility room sink. No other electrical work apart from that. I did ask for an certificate, but it has not been provided yet. Not sure if it is needed for the work I had carried out, as it wasn't much?

Attached Files:

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Those pics clearly show that the chipboard cores have not been sealed. Very bad news for the long term viability of the worktops :mad: and a basic bit of sloppy workmanship that should never happen.

8. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Should
    I actually think my blood is boiling at this point!

What should the cores have been sealed with? Is it something that would have been visible to the human eye? Or only something you can feel?

Is it standard practise for the cores to have been sealed? Or am I asking for too much!

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

ALL cut laminate worktops should be sealed, even more so on sink and hob cutouts, usually with silicon. Also, no one should have put the isolation switch for the cooker hood behind it....................where is the point of isolation if for any reason the hood becomes "live" ?

10. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

@kitfit1

Don't think the hob cutout has been sealed either.

Honestly don't have any words at this point!

Attached Files:

11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Nope, it hasn't.
    The reason for always sealing a cut core is to stop moisture ingress into that core, it's the same basic part of fitting a kitchen as it would be for an electrician to fit rubber grommet's into a metal box. It's just something you do automatically without even thinking about it.

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Re the electrical work. You should have minor works certificate. When they moved the switches and sockets. Did they just extend the cables over a bit or did they chase cables in from ceiling etc. do you remember? Reason for asking is there is a bodge on electrics that is a big stick to beat them with

13. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Sorry, i explained it wrong re the cooker hood socket. The socket for the cooker hood was moved so that it is hidden behind the hood.

The actual switch for the cooker hood is above the worktops.

Just emailed Wickes regarding the 'lip' in the worktops and the unsealed edges. Let see what excuse the fitter comes back with this time!

I kept the instructions that came with the Worktops which I have just read, and it clearly states all exposed edges must be sealed. Send them a photo of the instructions. The worktops are from Wickes, so they have no excuse

14. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

I want to say they just extended the cables over a bit, but can't say for sure. Any way I can check this?

The electrical work was done on the 3rd March. Still no certificate...

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Not really if it’s been covered up now. No harm in posting some pics up is there?

16. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Not really sure what to post pictures of showing this?

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Ok. Best left then. No point looking for problems that don’t exist

18. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Thank you everyone for your help!

Wickes are aware of everything, and I have made them aware of the 'lip' in the worktop and the exposed edges around the sink and hob today.

Just waiting for their response, although, I am not hopeful that it will be something reasonable!

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

You really need to tell them what you want and when you want it done. Not the other way around. Else they’ll offer the cheapest easiest solution to suit themselves…

20. Hajirah

Hajirah Member

Yes for sure - I will not be allowing them to fob me off with the easiest and cheapest solution for them.

I have set out clearly the work that needs to be fixed/redone/replaced, and when it needs to be done by.

And if they can't provide an alternative fitter to carry out the work within the date I have given them, then I have given them a breakdown of the Money I would be expecting, to cover the costs of having to call in my own tradesmen.

I have also stated that with both options, I will be expecting them to cover the costs of the materials (e.g. the new worktops, any damage expexted/ reasonable damage caused to the tiles during the replacement of the worktops, the cost of labour for me to call in a tiler to fix any damage to the tiles, the materials that would be involved (e.g. the actual tile, the adhesive, the grout) ect....)

I will not have the original fitter back in my house and I have made this clear to them. And I will not wait until the end of this year/ beginning of next year to have the work done by a different Wickes fitter, as they have suggested previously. The work needs to be done within the next Month.

I am currently drafting my final email to them. Is therefore anything else I should include?

Thank you