Retrofit threshold between laminate & carpet

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JonnyVizen, Apr 13, 2022.

1. JonnyVizen

JonnyVizen New Member

What's the best way to retrofit a threshold bar of some description between laminate flooring and carpet? The carpet appears to have been glued down at the doorway (in addition to the carpet grippers around the rest of the room). The carpet and laminate meet with no gap.

Attached Files:

2. amendment2

amendment2 Active Member

All looks very neat to me, looks like you're trying to fix something that aint broke

gadget man, I-Man and Ind spark like this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Are the doors going back on? There's a disparity between the doorways and the carpet will be left projecting beyond the door in a couple of them which would look odd when the door is closed.

I would make some solid wood thresholds the same width as each door stop, then trim the carpet and/or laminate as appropriate to allow them to fit. You will probably need to chamfer the edges of the strips a little.
    Screw the thresholds in place concealing the screws under matching wooden plugs.

Satin varnish or Danish oil to finish, protecting the carpet whilst applying.

4. JonnyVizen

JonnyVizen New Member

Thanks for your response. Yes, the plan is for the doors to go back on. Well spotted! We had identified the problem of a strip of carpet being left showing when the doors are closed (because of the position where the laminate stops relative to the door frame).

I'm certainly open in principle to considering wooden thresholds. I can get a carpet fitter to deal with the carpet side, but I'm not sure the best way of cutting the laminate neatly and accurately in situ. Any ideas on that point?

Alternatives we've been considering are:
    • Fitting metal cover strips to cover the transition between the laminate and carpet, provided the cover strip is wide enough to address the issue mentioned above about carpet showing when the door is closed. Perhaps something like this: https://www.carpetrunners.co.uk/product/carpet-door-plates-premier-posh/
    • Having the carpet moved/cut back enough to fit a wooden T-bar - again, provided a strip of carpet won't be left showing when the door is closed.
    In both cases, it would mean the cover strips / T-bars would be fitted in a slightly different position in each door frame.

All views on these ideas would be most welcome.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

You could probably use a multi-tool to cut it in situ. Presumably the cut edge will be hidden so the cut doesn't need to be too neat and accurate.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Purely my personal opinion but I would choose wood over metal. As @Bob256 says an oscillating multi tool is the perfect machine to make the cut in the laminate. You can run it along a straight edge to improve your chances of keeping the edge straight/neat. Keeping the speed setting low and curved edge blades help as well.

Edit: In answer to your concern about the T-bar being in a different position within the different doorways, that was why I suggested strips that matched the door stop in each case. This would mean that the differences wouldn't be as stark.

That said, people that notice that a ready made door threshold strip has a slightly deeper notch cut out around the door stop than in the doorway at the other end of the hall have other issues and you'll never satisfy them. No-one else will notice. Choose what ever senior management prefers and it will be fine.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  7. JonnyVizen

JonnyVizen New Member

@Bob256, @WillyEckerslike - thanks both for your helpful input.

We'll ponder the different options over the coming days.

I used a multi tool to cut out laminate from two bedrooms in the past where we were switching from laminate to carpet. We weren't in a position to carpet immediately as had to lower the skirting boards and redecorate etc., so I cut out a 3 inch strip of laminate all round the rooms leaving an 'island' of laminate over the bulk of the floor in the interim. Even with the widest blade and taking it steady (plus increasing practice), the cuts weren't of a quality that I'd be happy to live with on show in the longer term. In view of that experience, I'm a bit reluctant to start cutting the laminate using a multi tool where neatness and accuracy of the cut matters. The laminate is quite thick and, even if I managed to cut the line straight with the help of a straight edge, I fear there's a risk of the cut being out of vertical.

We have oak t-bars installed on other thresholds, so I sense we're leaning towards that option at present.

Thanks again for the helpful advice - much appreciated.