Scaffold poles as fence posts

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by pal123, Apr 21, 2022.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

I'm looking to use scaffold poles as fence posts by digging a hole then holding the poles in place with cement.

I found a earth auger tool (45mm diameter x 600mm long). This fits to a standard drill. It has saved a lot of time when digging holes for the scaffold poles to go in.

The earth auger tool is similar to the tool at this Ebay link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16463247...D/JbmsmJ6VYiNrd6A9Cm1rju1dYs|tkp:BFBM-ob2sIlg

Should I look to encase the cement in something dampproof like a plant pot/pipe/DPC? This would protect the cement from the surrounding earth.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, use Post Crete, look on You Tube at D & J Projects to see how to really put fencing up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  3. pal123

pal123 Member

Scaffold poles is preferred because the area is very close to the back of the house - any wind could push a pole/post over. So concrete posts are not ideal. And wooden posts rot. Scaffold poles are inexpensive and galvanized so last a long time.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Post Crete is the mix to set them in, dig hole, put in pole, add dry post crete ,add water...job done.
    Look up Post Crete.

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  5. pal123

pal123 Member

yes that's good for the job thanks

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I don't understand what you're doing. You want to use scaffold tube as fence post, which is just under 50mm diameter, you're making a hole with a 45mm auger, so the pole will be a tight fit. Where does the "cement" go?

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Down the pole, obviously :D

ramseyman likes this.
  8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

How do you fit the fence to the scaffold pole?:confused:

9. amendment2

amendment2 Active Member

Just bang them in

10. pal123

pal123 Member

I will have to 'drill' multiple 45mm holes using the auger tool such that the hole in the earth is around 150mm diameter. Then I will put the scaffold pole into the hole then pour postcrete between the scaffold pole and the surrounding earth.

11. pal123

pal123 Member

the fence will be chicken wire. So some sort of plastic/metal fixing.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cable Ties.

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

How high, couldn’t you just use pig’s tails ?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. pal123

pal123 Member

What are pig tails?

15. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

upload_2022-4-21_12-22-34.png

16. pal123

pal123 Member

Looks ok - what's that product called on the travis perkins site? Pig tail isn't coming up with anything

17. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Steel fencing pins with lamp hooks

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If this is anything other than a temporary fence - around a veg plot for instance - it's going to look naff in my opinion.

There's a reason fences have evolved to look the way they do. Durability, ease of installation, variation of design within a common theme and so on.
    Chicken wire is very difficult to tension evenly unless it is fastened to a frame of some sort - tying it to a smooth post won't work.

If your soil is friable enough for a drill auger to work you can dig it out with a border spade or a graft just as easily - you're going to have to dig out anyway drilling several holes per post.

19. pal123

pal123 Member

It's a permanent fence. Just used to mark a boundary. Not viewable. Wood just rots. Concrete posts carry a big risk of, in high winds, damaging the property roof. So really no choice but to go with scaffolding poles. Earth becomes loose from the slope above and rolls downhill - so a solid screen cannot be used otherwise the earth would build up and eventually topple the posts.

A drill auger is much less labour/graft than a bucket/spade.

What sort of frame could I use to connect between the scaffolding poles?

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Scaffold poles.

spannerw likes this.