Bevel cut on a mitre saw greater than 45°

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bflare, May 12, 2022.

1. bflare

bflare Member

I am having a go at replacing the old tired skirting board in my new house. To cover the gap in the wood flooring I am using 25mm thick x 120mm high MDF skirting. I tried cutting the external mitres by hand & soon realised it would be easier using an electric mitre saw so I purchased a cheap Evolution saw which can cut 125mm x 35mm. When I was trying to cut the external mitres by hand I noticed that some of the corners were over 90°. I used a bevel protractor to dissect the angle & then transferred this onto the skirting board. However, I am now coming to the conclusion that the mitre saw I have purchased is not going to allow me to cut a bevel angle greater than 45°& I am unable to stand the board on its end & use the mitre option. Am I missing something here or have I purchased the wrong size mitre saw? Just to add that the mitre saw will only allow me to swing it one way to cut a bevel from 0° to 45°.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Possibly the wrong saw! Some brands have a 45° to one side and either 48° or even 60° on the other.

What you can do, is accurately cut a wedge 100-150mm wide with a 5° or 10° angle. Place this under the workpiece and you will then be able to cut up to 50° or 55°. Try it and see.

Astramax and bflare like this.
  3. bflare

bflare Member

Ah yes I can see how this could work. Thank you I shall give this a go.

Kingscurate and Astramax like this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, this certainly works well!

bflare likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

You may need to cut 3 strips from 50x25 and glue together.

bflare likes this.
  6. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

I could be wrong but isn’t the jig/wedge for cutting acute angles, under 90.. to cut 46 degrees for a 92 degree corner you set the saw to 44, to cut 50 set to 40 etc or am i being obtuse?

7. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Yes, very good!

8. FlyByNight

Yes, but the OP also asked how to cut angles greater than 45.

9. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

You may be a able to use the mitre cut on your saw if you go about it in a particular way. First do a bevel cut on your skirting at 45 degrees but make this cut 5 or 6mm too long. Then set the saw to the mitre angle you aiming for, and trim your bevelled skirting to the correct angle, introducing the skirting on the side of the blade that is away from the motor. Mitre down as far as you can go, then flip the skirting upside down and complete the mitre from the bottom of the skirting so the cut meets up with the one you just made from the top.