Why are my wires cut?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kreg92, May 20, 2022.

1. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

Hi there,

I’ve had to temporarily remove some lighting cables to sister a joist. Whilst disconnecting them I realised that a lot of the grounds and neutrals have been cut, resulting in only one live (old colours; red) wire connected at junction boxes and switches. I’ve come across CPCs not being attached before and even cut but not with the addition of neutrals being cut.

What is the reason for this?

Photos attached.

2. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Looks like someone has run two sperate lengths of twin to the switch, one for live and one for neutral. Weird. Anyway you'll need to replace or re-terminate the ones with the cut cpc cut as you won't be able to do an r1+r2 test at the other end of it.

4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The reason is stupidity, sometimes you will need a single wire link, so they stupidly cut off the neutral, also some people think only red wires can be used as lives, more stupidity.

But the big problem is cutting off the earth wires, this possibly means some of your installation is not earthed and is therefore dangerous, you urgently need a good spark to sort things out.

5. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

I don’t think I urgently need a good spark out. I’ve had a full EICR in February and brand new CU which has RCBOs and RCD protection and is earthed. I’m replacing it all anyways so it’s not staying like that as I’m moving them around and stuff whilst the ceiling is off. I’ve checked the other lights for safety and they’re all fine with all three wires connected.

I just really wanted to try and understand why it is like that and learn the thoughts behind cutting the wires. Especially as it occurred more than once. Strange.

6. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

Chesterw, in what situation would you need a single wire link? It seems so silly to cut them, they’re already there, paid for, use them! Never mind the safety aspect. I can’t understand the benefit of cutting them. Is it to save space when struggling to fit all the wires into a JB or ceiling rose? Thanks

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So presumably this didn't come up in the EICR? It's not just the CU that needs "earthing", what ever is on the end of the cables with the missing earths also need to be earthed, at the very least the cpc needs to be connected and not cut. I'm pretty sure missing earths is a C1 right there on a EICR. Also who ever did this wiring clearly didn't know what they were doing in the slightest.

8. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The most likely reason for a one wire link is on stairs 2 way switching, to take a live or switchline between floors. And as I said cutting off wires is stupidity, theres no other reason.

But regarding the earthing it is possible it was missed during the EICR, never the less it needs to checked, mention it to whoever did the EICR, because it is potentially dangerous

Kreg92 likes this.
  9. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

I’m aware of the important of CPCs/earthing and always install correctly.

My question is to the neutral, why it would have been cut and in what application would someone use a single wire rather than all three?

10. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

Thanks for reply Chesterw, makes sense. There are many issues with this property, ripped it back to brick to do it all right, currently installing new joists

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Because as said: someone doesn’t know what they are doing.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I have a light fitting in my living room.
    There’s T&E from the CU to the light fitting, all 3 conductors are terminated at each end.
    I then have some T&E to a single light switch, permanent live, switched live and CPC, all conductors are terminated at each end.

Now I decide I want another light fitting in the room and to replace the single light switch for a double light switch.
    To make this second light fitting function, all I need is a switched live from the double light switch to the second light fitting and a neutral and CPC from the first light fitting.

I can’t be bothered to purchase a roll of sheathed single core cable and I already have half a drum of T&E.
    I snip off the black conductor and the CPC in the T&E, run that from the double light switch to the second light fitting.
    I then snip off the red conductor in another length of T&E and run that from the first light fitting to the second light fitting.

13. Kreg92

Kreg92 Member

That makes perfect sense!!! There’re two lights in that room and there’s a JB coming off both to power outdoor lights (I have removed these and replacing with spurs and h05rn-f outdoor cable as currently t&e outside!). There’s also some 2 way wiring.

thanks for taking the time to explain this