Vinyl Matt over Lightweight Filler

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Vausian, May 25, 2022.

1. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Hi
    On freshly plastered walls I used No Nonsense Lightweight filler to cover a good number of trowel marks.
    I then mist coated with Leyland watered down contract matt. Finish was all good.
    I've now come to top coat with Wickes Home Vinyl Matt white emulsion and all the filler marks show up and appear indented from the rest of the walls. In certain lights the walls look horrendous.
    I've tried patching over with Zinsser BIN and Bullseye 123 in different areas and where the transition between each Zinsser primer and mist coat is, when the emulsion top coat is applied it again indents and looks awful. This makes the prob worse.
    I've tried sanding/feathering down but when top coat applied the indents reappear.
    I've tried No Nonsense ready mixed filler over the indents, sanded back smooth, but indents reappear after top coating.
    I've scraped back a couple of areas of filler and repainted and all is fine, so the issue appears to be the lightweight filler or perhaps the Wickes Vinyl Matt Emulsion combined with the filler or Zinsser?

My question is instead of having to scrape off all the filler, is there any other product out there that I can apply over the indent to smooth out and give me a relatively smooth finish?
    I've read Toupret is good, but would it behave just like the no nonsense ready mixed filler?
    I've painted many walls but never come across this issue before - but never used the lightweight filler.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

P.S. I'm not sure if this is called paint flashing, it's difficult to identify researching on the Web.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have not had any problems using Toupret Interior Powder Filler, the lightweight filler is very fine that may cause a light source to reflect in a different way maybe it has shrunk back when the mist coat was applied.

3. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Cheers for the feedback Astramax.

Its really strange. The areas where lightweight filler were applied are not noticeable after mist coat, only when vinyl matt applied.
    The only way I can see to avoid the flashing/indenting is to scrape back all the lightweight filler and use an alternative.

Have you had any experience with Zinesser BIN or Bullseye 123 flashing/indenting?

Cheers

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser for me has been trouble free apart from 123 can flash as that has happened to me, the contract matt is a flat matt so will not reflect as does the vinyl matt which has a low sheen level due the the vinyl content.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have you wiped all the dust off after sanding with a damp rag?

6. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Hi CGN
    Yes, the process I've followed is:
    -Filled trowel marks on bare plaster with no nonsense lightweight filler.
    -Sand smooth.
    -wipe down
    -mist coat Leyland Contract Matt 3:1 Paint to Water
    -all filler is covered and flat, barely noticeable.
    -top coat Wickes Home Vinyl Matt Emulsion.
    Result: Any area where lightweight filler was applied is now indented (halo like around the filler) against the main wall and makes the finish look really poor.

7. MattKG89

MattKG89 New Member

Did you ever get to the bottom of this one Vausian?

8. Vausian

Vausian New Member

The only solution I've found so far is to scrape the lightweight filler right back to bare plaster, fill with a conventional filler and repainted. This gives a smooth surface and good finish, nothing else seems to resolve this far unfortunately.
    Still open to any other suggestions......

MattKG89 likes this.
  9. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Today I tried an alternative vinyl matt paint.
    I bought some Leyland White Vinyl Matt.
    It does go on better than the Wickes Home stuff but unfortunately it still seems to react in exactly the same way as the Wickes paint leaving an indented patch where the lightweight filler was applied under the mist coat of contract matt.

So in the absence of any other suggestions I guess my best solution is to remove the filler and just use a regular filler (Prob Toupret).

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Toupret Interior Powdered Filler was recommended a while back. :(

11. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Thanks Astramax, I did take the advice.

I did try toupret over the light weight filler where the indentation was occuring, then repainted with the vinyl matt but the indentation reappeared even though it was smooth prior to repainting. Really strange.

The only solution I could find was to completely remove the lightweight filler which seems to react with the vinyl matt somehow leaving the indent, and replace completely with Toupret.

I've been looking for an alternative solution which means I dont need to scrape away all the lightweight filler but I can't find one. (As scraping is very labour intensive)
    Tried two different brands of Vinyl Matt - the issue remains. I've tried Toupret and Screwfix No Nonsense filler over indents - the issue remains. I've tried Zinsser BIN and 123 which was slightly better than just the VM but I'd have to paint the entire room (7m x 8m) which would cost an arm and a leg and still wouldn't be right.

So really still looking for another solution.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plan 'B'.......a good quality lining paper!:)

13. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Again, thanks, but I'd feel cheated as all the walls were freshly plastered........and my better half is wanting it finished ASAP!

Keep any suggestions or ideas coming!

14. Slingshot

Slingshot New Member

Contract matt is a waste of time as a primer.. Its very pourious in nature and makes a terrible mess when sanding down/doesn't particularly provide a good application of the top coats.
    Acrylic primer/undercoat is a much better option imo.
    Or a thinned down matt vinyl is a much better option than a contract matt.
    Lightweights are good for small dings and are quick drying but have limitations.
    Much prefer the toupret interior/110x or a ready mixed one like nauff..
    Trowel marks probably best with a fine surface filler

Wayners likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@Slingshot
    If it's you? Don't worry it will be back up in a week or so.
    If it's not you this won't mean anything.

Good Post above though

Slingshot likes this.
  16. Slingshot

Slingshot New Member

Good morning Wayners.. What in gods name is going on?
    I thought maybe misty has gone away on holiday? Hope he's okay...

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Your right. Track me down and massage me. @Slingshot

Slingshot likes this.
  18. Slingshot

Slingshot New Member

Right I'll get on my bike and start looking for a big yellow bird!

19. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

I recently had a similar problem with a newly plastered wall in a hallway with the sun coming through the front door light and showing up every slight indent..I used B&Q Makegood plasterboard jointing,filling and finishing compound and a set of metal spreaders from Poundland. Really easy to apply,sand and the finished result was excellent.

20. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Should have also said ready mixed 5kg tub not powder and mix youself.