Am I wiring this smart switch correctly?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bflare, May 30, 2022.

1. bflare

bflare Member

Hello. I have 2 gang 1-way switch controlling my hall light & outside light. I have purchased a smart light switch & are finding it difficult to wire it up. I thought I had it working correctly however, the hall light was constantly on & flickering.

I had the black wire going to Neutral. Live wire going to 'L', the other red wire going to 'L1' & from 'L1' the jumper wire to 'L2'.

Any advice, please?

20220528_174520-min.jpg 20220528_174614-min.jpg 20220528_174641-min.jpg

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The switch requires a neutral, but there's not a neutral at the switch box, therefore it won't work

bflare likes this.
  3. bflare

bflare Member

I thought the black was neautral. I think this indicates I should probably leave any further electrical work to the experts!

4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

No, the wire colour means nothing. It's standard practise with switch wiring, the red/brown wire is the pemanent live and the black/blue is the switchline live.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    bflare likes this.
  5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

The black should have red sleeving on, so an easy mistake to make.

bflare likes this.
  6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There are switches made which don't need a neutral, Energenie for example, however they need to pass a small amount of current through the bulb when it is switched off, with BA22d bulbs this is normally OK, but small bulbs like the G9 can present a problem with light flashing when switched off, most smart switches which don't need a neutral have a minimum bulb size of 5 watt, so using a smart relay or smart bulb may be a better option.

The smart relay goes near the lamp, where there is a neutral and the wall switch becomes extra low voltage, so in your case would need one relay with two lamp option, not an easy job, so likely smart bulb is way to go.

bflare likes this.
  7. bflare

bflare Member

Thanks. I did originally have a smart bulb fitted. However, I wanted to control the outside light remotely or via a routine in Alexa but as the smart bulb was in a stainless steel housing & outside it would not connect. Maybe, a different smart bulb is needed with a greater range?

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

The red feeding common with link to second common is LIVE. The two others, Red and Black are bothe Switched Live and teh black sleeved to indicate that.

There is NO neutral there.

bflare likes this.
  9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Is the circled red just a single red? Or is there a black chopped in there?
    If there is a black you might be able to pull a bit down and create a neutral.

Bit of a long shot.

Attached Files:

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have used a smart relay however that needs to control both lamps, the instructions are included with my thread asking for help, and since the switch becomes extra low voltage the relay would need to control both lights, which it can do, mine works two lights in the same fitting, but it depends what access you have to wiring.

I had three core are earth ready, however I could not at my age fit that lamp, working above my head, so got son to do it for me, and lack of time resulted in not changing cable so only one lamp the centre one works off the light switch.