Are flexi pipes bad?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sunny1880, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Sunny1880

Sunny1880 Member

Under my sinks and toilet we have flexi pipes fitted. On the downstairs bathroom sink, upon putting the hot water on, the flexi burst and water spattered out non stop. I had to turn it off from isolation valve until I can get it fixed in the mean time. Do flexis have a lifespan and are they rubbish compared to good old soldering copper pipes? The flexi that burst was roughly 10 years old. I’m worried that the other flexis around my home might burst one day. Is it worth getting them all changed when I’m doing the one that is currently burst? Do people on her have problems with flexis?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

They should be fine. Never had an issue.

Sunny1880 likes this.
  3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I've had this happen many a time in various rental properties.. To be fair they were probably not the best quality, so that's something I always consider now. Also, always ensure they are not kinked.

Sunny1880 likes this.
  4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Had one leak in my OHs house, had been there a while so yes they do have a lifespan.

Sunny1880 likes this.
  5. Rail_man

Rail_man Member

Wouldn't say 'bad' as a general rule - I think it depends on the quality and the installation. Some last for longer than others and some people claim to have had them for 20 year etc. with no problems - but if it was my house, I would go with copper tap tails. Note that many CH filling loops are flexi-hoses.

I connected my tap tials to compression joints to allow for dismantling in the future if needed, and I put the isolation valves before the tap tails - doing this with flexis and not useing the flexis with valves on them allows for much easier maintenence!!

Sunny1880, just pumps and dcox like this.
  6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

As above, I don't see the point of the flexi with a built on isolation valve. Average life of a flexi is 7 years.

Sunny1880 likes this.
  7. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Says who?

I have never seen that written anywhere, but could be wrong.

Is it the same as the 10 years that was oft quoted as the life of a combi?

8. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Never seen a flexi fail per se. Normally just badly installed.

Can anybody explain the logic of this one?

72A925FE-762C-49CB-885F-29266547133D.jpeg

Sunny1880 likes this.
  9. Sunny1880

Sunny1880 Member

I think when the flexi starts looking brown and mouldy and can see that it’s becoming bit sharp when running fingers through it, it is worn out and is likely to burst. The one of mine that burst was very mouldy and brown and then it eventually burst from a section and spattered water on floor. All my flexis are brown and mouldy now, so I will look to replace them all and buy them from screwfix, the 3 pound ones.

10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

The brown/mouldy appearance is from hard water running down it and most likely to be caused by not being connected tightly.

Sunny1880 likes this.
  11. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Logically at least, ones on the hot supply would be most at risk on a pressured system.

seconded by any cold mains supply. IMO anyway.

I would definitely change them if they look dodgy anyway, otherwise asking for trouble.

12. Sunny1880

Sunny1880 Member

Yeah I’ve noticed that the hot water taps one are more mouldy. It was originally the hot water one that burst too. I have high water pressure in the area.

13. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

If it is brown and mouldy there is either an environmental problem or a leak.

The outer metal sheath is not leak no proof, the inner plastic tube is.

If it is environmental there will be no risk to the tube

A leak occurs when the inner plastic is compromised

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I see then knotted up and doing loops. That's not good but if fairly straight they are fine. I have a few at home myself

15. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

If the outer metal braiding starts to breakdown it can puncture the rubber hose.

Tilt and exbg like this.
  16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

In my experience 8 to 10 years is all I would trust them for.

17. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Never thought of the internal effects of that.....

But I know what it does to a finger if you catch the outside of one, Lol.