Patio refresh

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FTFF, Jun 12, 2022.

1. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Hi all,

New here and in need of some advice.

I've moved into a new house with an existing patio which is looking a little tired and in need of a freshen up.

I've got a jet washer so I'm going to give it a blast to clean it up but beyond that I'm not sure what to do with it. Quality-wise it's seems in ok condition so I thought about painting it. Is that a dumb idea? If not can anyone recommend what product(s) I should use?

I'd imagine I would need to use a primer and a top coat. Are bitumen paints any good for this type of thing.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.

Edit: added a picture to show current state. Sorry for the junk in the way. Still sorting the place out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Post some pictures and I’m happy to advise best plan of action. Can tell you now don’t paint it though.

If you insist then I would have thought garage floor paint is your best bet. Don’t think I’ve ever done a patio clean or refurb where I thought it would have looked better if I painted it though.

3. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Yes

CGN likes this.
  4. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Thanks. Added a photo. Couldn't add more due to file size.

5. Truckcab79

Cool. That’ll come up fine. Definitely no paint.

Brush off the loose stuff
    Pressure wash just to rinse it off.
    Get some Sodium Hypochlorite. Mix 30% solution and soak for 30-40 minutes.

sodium hypochlorite is very dangerous. Be careful. Wear suitable protection on skin and eyes and don’t wear any decent clothes. Read about it before you use.

Pressure wash with your ‘turbo’ nozzle. Chances are you have a relatively small machine so might take a while but will come clean. hypo will have done all the hard work.

admire ‘new’ patio.

realise pointing needs some work.

Read up about re-pointing patio or post on here once we can see condition.

FTFF likes this.
  6. Truckcab79

There is a step before that if you have time. I always weed kill a week before for clients. Use glyphosate

FTFF likes this.
  7. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Nice one. Super helpful. Thanks.

8. Truckcab79

Never know what you might find. Here’s one I did for a client. Fab 70/80’s colours revealed.

upload_2022-6-12_19-52-27.jpeg

upload_2022-6-12_19-52-50.jpeg

9. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Woah... That's nuts! Who'd have thought that was hiding under there. That looks awesome.

Couple of questions about the Sodium Hypochlorite. Do you have a link to the one I should get. I've Googled it and seen some pre mixed stuff at 14/15%.

Also when you say 30%, that's simply 3 parts SH to 7 parts water? And this is distributed with a watering can or sprayer?

Cheers!

10. Truckcab79

Sorry. Should have explained better. I’ll post a link in a sec.

14-15% is full strength. Take your chosen receptacle and 1/3 fill with hypo. Top up the other 2/3 with cold water.

I use a pressure sprayer but there’s more chance of overspray affecting grass and plants so if there are any nearby then watering can or bucket and broom are safer.

soak all surrounding grass and plants with water beforehand either way and flush with copious amounts after. I always warn clients to expect some grass die-back if it’s adjacent but in reality I don’t think it’s happened yet.

11. Truckcab79

Item number 293586274264 on eBay is the cheapest I’ve found.

if you have a swimming pool maintenance company locally you can buy it there and save postage. It’s the same stuff.

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

FTFF likes this.
  13. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Ok awesome. Thanks a lot. Last question, I've got a bit less than 30m2 to cover. How much of this stuff would I need?

14. Truckcab79

If you’re ordering from eBay just buy the 20 litres as per that item number. It will be more than you need but sometimes you’ll find you have particularly difficult to shift areas of black spot so need to use at greater strength or occasionally neat. You don’t want to run out. It does have a shelf life but to be honest if you don’t use the rest until next year you’re not going to notice the drop-off in effectiveness.

15. FTFF

FTFF New Member

So I snoozed on placing the order and it's now out of stock by this brand everywhere.

Do you know of any other reputable brands I could go for? I just want to make sure I'm not buying something dodgy.

16. Truckcab79

There’s loads on eBay in non-branded containers. Just makes sure it’s 14/15%. Can’t really go wrong. Most of the others I’ve found are quite a bit pricier though.

17. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Ok nice one. Cheers!

18. Truckcab79

If you also search ‘black spot remover’ you’ll find plenty more. Just avoid the branded ‘patio magic’ etc. I once priced that up out of curiosity when my brother bought some to do his patio. For the amount he got cleaned with one container I worked out he would need to spend £600 on it!

Fortunately I cleaned it for him and only charged him £599. After all he’s family. :D

19. FTFF

FTFF New Member

Haha, seems perfectly reasonable to me!

I saw some of those and wondered if they would work. After reading a few reviews, many people said they wished they just gone for SH instead.

Glove-wise... Is a pair of kitchen marigold sufficient protection or would I need something more heavy duty?

I've ordered the stuff just gotta make sure I don't do anything stupid with it now. Any idea how to dispose of any left overs? I've got small kids and I wouldn't want to store strong chemicals in the shed.

20. Truckcab79

It’s basically just very strong bleach so dilute and use down the drain if you don’t want it around.

Protection - don’t underestimate. Heavy rubber gloves aren’t expensive. I’ve got industrial ones but actually find the Tesco heavy duty black rubber ones a better fit and more flexible.
    Eye protections is a must. Very old clothes, preferable waterproofs.

Its really quite nasty if you’re not careful. I was using a new backpack sprayer a few months back. And my own fault had not tightened the outlet fully. Hypo soaked through my clothes and burnt all my back by the time I felt it wet, and that was at 30%