Scratches on pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Niall Love, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Hi I need to put an elbow on a speed fit pipe but where I need to cut the pipe it has some small scratches on the outside.
    Can I get away with using this pipe or should I replace the whole section?
    Thanks

dbm likes this.
  2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

If you’re worried cut it back if you have enough length but realistically it’s probably fine. Clean it with wire wool or a nylon scourer is probably all it needs. Pictures would help to know how bad the scratches are.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

All it needs to ensure it leaks. NEVER use wire wool on SpeedFit or other plastic pipes.

Niall Love likes this.
  4. Truckcab79

Absolutely right. My apologies. Totally missed the fact that it was plastic pipe. For some reason I was thinking it was speedfit onto copper.

Niall Love likes this.
  5. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

There small nicks that you can feel if you run your finger nail over them.

I think I will just replace the whole pipe work from the t piece as it will not be accessable due to kitchen units being in place.
    Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

6. Truckcab79

It’s cheap enough. Just replace it for peace of mind. You’ll always wonder if it will leak if you don’t.

Niall Love likes this.
  7. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Regards the push fits
    If the top hat stays in the elbow or another push fit can I still use it or does it need replacing
    My concern is the stop tap and the top hat staying in the tap
    Thankfully this mess has never leaked.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

8. Truckcab79

You can normally pull them out with a pair of thin nosed pliers. Just be careful not to damage the teeth getting it out. A little wiggle normally does the trick. No reason you can’t re-use but get it out and put it back in the pipe rather than trying to get the pipe over it while it’s stuck. Again would 99% of the time be fine but ideally you want to know that it’s properly seated.

Niall Love likes this.
  9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

If it was me and my house, I would remove all those various fittings, trim back the pipe a little and then use new Hep2O for all of them.

Niall Love likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Seeing as there’s ‘some work’ going on to the kitchen, and the black, mouldy fittings, excellent opportunity to replace the lot with new, fitting, pipe, inserts all same brand, looks like it could be tidied up at same time, and add some pipe clips - looks like it’s just waggling around under its own weight - not ideal really

Copper end feed would be nice, less joints, can get pipe exactly where you need it but, you may not be able to do this yourself ?

At a minimum, replace pipe, ensure you use inserts (same brand as new pipe) but possibly makes sense to replace the lot for peace of mind ?

Niall Love likes this.
  11. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Thanks everyone pipe and joints ordered

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Inserts also ?

Niall Love likes this.
  13. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

Yes both types as there is two compression joints also.

Thanks again

14. Niall Love

Niall Love Member

New pipe work in place just waiting for the worktop and sink to go on then the tails for the tap and the washer feed.
    Thanks everyone

Attached Files: