Are TRVs and zoning worth it?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by WeCanDoIt, Jun 3, 2022.

1. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

Obviously we are all subject to rising gas prices. Is it worth installing TRVs which are room specific and able to be turned of via an app? Eg WFH, just the study is warmed?

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I’ve got the Wiser smart system installed with iTRVs in each room. Once the initial teething problems were sorted it does work well. The ability to set each individual room separately is very nice and saves heating rooms that aren’t used, or used rarely or at different times.

Cliff Rees and WeCanDoIt like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Big houses with room doors shut I think this zone heating saves money.
    Normal sized houses I can't see it makes any difference as heat travels to cold. Think these devices are for tech people or those penny pinching ocd folks the psychologist talk about. Ha.
    That's going to be me from October I recon as I'm not ocd penny pinching yet but I can see me morphing into one! Ridiculous the cost of fuel.

4. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

In a modern house to current regs or better I think trvs are a waste of time. You're not going to get massive temp differentials in rooms it's just less efficient

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I think the normal type trv's are worth it.
    It helps you keep the room you spend most of your time in (say, the lounge), at the temperature you want, but the rooms you are not in but will be later on (say, the bedroom) at a lower temperature.
    They also make turning individual radiators on or off, easier.

I think zoning is sensible if you were installing a new full heating system. Possibly upstairs and downstairs separately.

I am considering installing one or two of the timer type ones.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I guess at night heating upstairs but turn downstairs off saving a bit in large house?

7. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

The wifi TVR is useful if the rad is in awkward place (behind desk or large bed)
    The problem is you need a certain amount of heat for comfort in lounge etc. so no matter what you use to control it...you still need that amount.
    Setting a stat to come on slightly later and off slightly earlier before bed is a good saving.
    We have taken to wearing those very lightweight quilted jackets around the house when the temp drops rather than hit the CH on.(more comfort than a cardigan)
    Good heavy curtains act like double glazing, so we pull those as soon as it gets dim outside.( we do have DG)
    My WISER system room stat allows for a preset 30 min or 60 min blast with a button push which is quite useful.
    If you dont have time to turn on a manual rad valve in a guest room when a guest is coming...you need to cut yourself some slack in your schedule.;)

8. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

I've often thought the same, for me though I'd like 10 smart valves to go on the rads which I would like to be controlled. I already have a Hive smart thermostat so would make sense to use Hive TRV's. For 10 TRV's it would cost £400. Makes you wonder how long it would take to recoup that initial outlay?

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  9. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

I used Honeywell Evohome a few years ago on my 3 bedroom bungalow. I fitted the Evohome TRVs to all radiators except the bathroom. It broke even against the cost of oil in 18 months. How well you do will depend on which rooms and how many are occupied during the day / evening / night, as well as how insulated your home is.

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  10. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

How do you mean broke even?

11. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

Can you not start by turning of some
    Radiators?

12. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

Yes of course, but to be able to direct the heating to the downstairs only during weekend daytime or upstairs only during evenings before bed or perhaps just the office when I’m working from home. To do all of this on a daily routine or by the tap of a button is extremely convenient.

My rads on TRV’s are set & they stay set. I’m happy to turn off rooms that aren’t in use, but I wouldn’t manually turn rads on or off just because of the time of day.

13. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Comparing the usage of oil before and after I fitted Evohome, after being fitted for 18 months, the savings in oil equalled what I spent on the Evohome system.

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  14. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Wouldn't the external temperatures have an effect on useage too?

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  15. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

It's a very good question. One that's no so easy to answer.

Does buying an exercise bike or a FitBit really make you lose weight? Not without some other changes in your behaviour. The same principle applies to TRVs, zoning, and smart house apps.

Personally I think the claims of saving 30%-45% on one's heating costs are probably overblown. Unless you've got a rarely-used guest wing (with its own boiler) that you used to keep at a toasty 22C year-round, then I think its unlikely you are going to see a dramatic reduction in energy costs, without sacrificing at least some level of comfort.

16. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

As I mentioned before....no matter what 'wi-fi computerised, high tech, adaptable control gear' you use; You still need a certain amount of heat to give comfort.

WeCanDoIt likes this.