Fixing shower door frame to laminate panels

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Greg_89, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Greg_89

Greg_89 New Member

Hi All,

I've just refurbed my shower cubicle using laminate shower wall panels which have a 10mm mdf core. I'm ready to fit the new sliding shower door but needing some advice on how i should fix the frame to these panels.

On one side the panel is fixed to a solid brick wall with panel adhesive, so no problem there i can drill and fit the wall plugs supplied with the door. On the other side its a wooden stud wall with 15mm polyurethane tile backerboards, I'm not sure what best to use for this side? I know the locations of the horizontal wooden studs, only thing is these don't ine up with any of the pre drilled holes in the shower door wall fixture.

Would the 10mm panel and 15mm backer board be a sturdy enough base to screw into? If so what would be the best screw/plug to use for this? I can't see this really supporting any weight as the door frame is sitting on the shower tray but don't want to wing it having gotten this far!

Cheers

2. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

I reckon you would be ok fixing into the 15mm mdf but for belt and braces I would use a Duopower fixing which will hold as a wall plug but also balls up behind the board and clamps it in place.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’m taking it the pre drilled holes are out of sight in the ‘channel?’ If so, just drill new ones to line up with your studs. Failing that, a screw into the panel should be more than adequate.

4. Greg_89

Greg_89 New Member

Unfortunately the holes are visible, it's an L-shape type bracket with holes in the metal that sits flush again the wall, comes with these decorative caps to cover the screw heads once fixed.

I'll have a look into these Duopower plugs a bit more. Should these be inserted flush with the panel or pushed in just behind it?

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I’d just use normal brown plugs. There isn’t usually much force pulling out of the wall - most of the weight being carried by the tray.

exbg and CGN like this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’d just drill into the panel tbf.