Car insurance claim

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jun 25, 2022.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Some muppet in a brand new Range Rover backed into my car today... I pulled into a layby and stopped, he was ahead of me by a few metres and started reversing, straight into my bumper... (God only knows how, surely Range Rovers have decent parking sensors!)

I got all his details and took photos of the damage, so I'm going to claim on his insurance.

Anyone know if this non-fault claim will cause my premium to go up at renewal time? They always ask if you've been in an accident, regardless of fault.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As long as it's documented your premium will not be affected as it will be recorded as a 'not at fault' claim.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

Great, fingers crossed!

It's what should happen in a fair world, but since when has life been fair?!

rogerk101 likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A similar thing happened to me, my vehicle was parked, hit and the r sole drove off, fortunately someone took the reg and informed the Police....got my excess back and recorded as a not at fault claim. :)

5. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Make sure you get your excess back from the other insurer, as that proves that you were not to blame.
    Had a problem last year, when a reversing car hit my parked car (I wasn't in it at the time). Her insurance company wouldn't pay up, and finally my company (Direct Line) had to threaten them with legal action ONE year after the incident to cough up. PS she was honest enough and had written a note to say she was to blame, and left it under my wiper blade

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, it might.

My daughter had a "no fault claim" and te total damage casued by the driver was possibly £100k when all vehicles were considered. My daughter bought a replacement Ka and it was fine until renewal - here premium then went from around £300 to £2500. Becasue "A ford Ka in your area is a high risk vehicle"! Changed broker, ins co and car, premium dropped to a sensible figure again.

Suggest to te RR owbner that he/she may wish to settle directly rather than involve teh ins co.

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

You will not have an excess to get back as you are not claiming on your policy.

it is quite possible the other party’s insurer starts being difficult. If so. Take your car to a local repair company for a quote. Then small claims court directly from the individual (I hope you have their home address)… that is frankly the most powerful and effective way of moving things forward.

Hell68 likes this.
  8. BiancoTheGiraffe

I took the guys home address thankfully!

I think I'm going to approach my insurance company with "how much will my premiums go up if I make this claim?" and then tell the other guys insurance company that I expect that amount by way of compensation

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

wont work like that. Your insurer will log it as an accident as soon as you call them

declare it as no fault of yours. Should not affect premiums at all

10. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Had a no fault accident a couple of years ago and when using price comparison websites, it didn't affect quotes.

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

The T&C of all insurance policies require you to report all accidents however trivial. Most people are sensible and won’t bother with small supermarket scrapes and dents.

By asking them “if the premium will go up if a claim is made” you have in reality reported that accident and the underwriters may (and very likely) increase your premium. In this respect it’s no different to any other insurance !

Hell68 and rogerk101 like this.
  12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I know several people who were involved in no fault claims and every one of them had a significant premium increase for their next renewal. The only way to get back to sensible premiums was to change insurance providers.
    They have us by the short and curlies, and the only way forward is to find a new one, who will then also have you by the short and curlies, but at a realistic premium.
    Thatcher thought she was doing us all such a favour when she deregulated the financial services sector, but with insurance providers, it just became the wild west. I have now registered and insured two of my vehicles in France, and it is unbelievable how much less I am ripped off there than I am with my one remaining vehicle here!

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have seen my insurance go up after a no fault claim etc :(

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

What total rubbish. The thatcher government increase financial services regulation by moving regulation of the industry from company arrangements to state regulators.Financial services Act 1986 for example…

15. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have lived in 8 different countries around the world and have insured cars in each of them. The UK insurance industry is orders of magnitude worse than any of the others. Far more restrictive, far more penalising, far more difficult to make a successful claim, far less flexible, far more expensive, ... the list goes on.

16. I was involved in a collision with a motorbike. The claim dragged on for nearly three years before going to court. During this time I had to put that at I was at fault when renewing as the claim was open, it hardly affected my price at all, maybe £30ish. Once it went to court and I was found not at fault my insurance went back to normal.

Best thing to do is shop around each year anyway.

Rosso likes this.
  17. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I had a lorry jump out in front of me, the car was wrecked, thank goodness for under run bars. The insurance company said it was a no-fault crash, premiums did not rise, they geve me a decent sum for the car.

Note, insurers share information in the Claims and Underwriting Exchange database, and do check it.

I would guess in this case, due to the circumstances, that your insurer may put it down as a one-off, and not raise your premiums, but you'll just have to see what happens. Maybe actually tell them that you don't normally use that route or park there, if that's true.

18. BiancoTheGiraffe

Annoyingly it looks like this will now have to go through the insurers...

Thought it was purely cosmetic which I could sort out myself, but the adaptive cruise control is no longer working, so looks like some expensive sensors have been damaged.

Going to put it in writing to them that I don't expect to be out of pocket in any way due to this, and that they must claim from the other side in advance if that is going to happen

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

very very confused by this. Going to put it in writing that “they “ must claim from the other side. Who on earth is they? Your insurers? Other than disclosing it is a no fault accident it is nothing to do with them. Involving them is going to make the whole thing 10 times worse.

write a letter of claim to the other party’s insurers saying you are claiming off them. If they do not respond quickly take your car to repair shop and get quote; then start the small claims process against the other driver or their insurer ( depending on how nasty you feel about it). This has nothing to do with your insurer unless you wish to make a claim on YOUR policy in which case it is not a no fault claim but you are admitting it is your fault and claiming on the fully comprehensive element of your policy. This is a claim from another party so pursue that. The liability automatically transfers to their insurer under the road traffic act but they remain personally liable so you can take action against them( hence my suggestion above to act against them personally).

Hell68 likes this.
  20. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Not sure what your intention is.
    The first post said that you're going to claim on his insurance.
    The last post said annoyingly it looks like this will now have to go through the insurers?

The best thing you can do is just give your insurance company all the details and they will sort everything out. If it's the other party's fault, they will claim from them and your premium shouldn't be affected. If they do increase the premium up at renewal, change insurer.

The only time I probably wouldn't get insurance involved is if someone bumped into my old banger, as just a scratch would write it off.
    Most people if given the choice would rather pay £200 cash for me for fix a scrape than claim from their insurance.