Induction hob, 20 corian worktop and double under counter oven

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by WeCanDoIt, Jun 29, 2022.

1. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

I want a double under counter oven, with an induction hob on top. I also would like 20 thick Corian solid surface worktops.

Is this all workable? Do I need to read the oven instructions before I buy or is it all standard.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Don’t think you’ll get a double oven under counter

3. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Definitely not standard, check all your clearance depths and heights beforehand. We almost came a cropper on this last year when installing our new kitchen. We wanted the thin (20mm) laminate worktops and a double oven and gas hob. We had already bought the oven in a sale so we had it a few months before everything else. Had it not been for the adviser at Worktop Express who worked it all out for us, we would have made a costly mistake as the thin worktop would not have given us sufficient clearance between oven and hob. We ended up with 40mm laminate - not the end of the world, but not what we originally intended either.

4. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

I think gas take up more space

5. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

Why not?

6. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

You can generally look up the model of appliance and it will give you the required clearances needed, so you can see if your proposed combination will work. In our case, the minimum clearance could not be met with a 20mm worktop. A double oven tends to occupy the entire space between the worktop and the kickboards i.e. no filler panels required, so you don't really have the option of lowering it and fitting a smaller filler piece. In theory you could probably cut a bit out the kickboard and fit it lower (this was suggested to us) but IMO it wouldn't have looked good.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

When using thinner worktops for hobs you need to introduce a filler at top of oven as normal hobs are 30 mm thick

Chris Curwen likes this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It is "workable" as long as you understand the bottom of the oven will be lower than the bottom of the doors each side of the oven, In other words it will look dreadful. You would also need to introduce a filler above the oven.
    In my view, built under double ovens should never ever be part of a kitchen design unless the worktop is a minimum of 28mm. Even then, most Induction hobs are about 50mm deep and actually need a 40mm worktop to be used.

9. Chris Curwen

Chris Curwen Member

Because built under counter ovens are almost certainly 1.5 (one point 5 or one and a half) oven arrangement.

They are a reduced volume single oven snd a grill cavity which also (on some models) is a conventional small oven (non fan assisted).

You will struggle getting a true double oven under a hob, due to the measurements .

Standard worktop height is set @ 910
    Thin worktop like 20mm gives @ 890
    Double ovens ate 888-890mm tall.
    Plinth can vary, tho standard is 150 mm

So....the double oven will end up on the floor!
    Thats not a good look nor is it hygienic.

Try a redesign?

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

A proper built "under double oven" is 720mm. A proper built in double oven is 900mm..................the 2 are not the same. In fact, in lot's of cases, a built in double oven under the worktop could end up under the floor :D

11. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The simple answer is no.
    The more complicated answer is, for oven you linked to. There is 24mm between the top casing of the oven and the underside of the worktop, so a total of 44mm for the hob. If the hob manufacturer specifies a 65mm clearance, then that is what you need and you havn't got it.

Hell68 and WeCanDoIt like this.
  13. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

Fab. Now I understand.

I can put an induction hob and oven beneath with a 20mm worktop?

14. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Personally I think you're going about it the wrong way.

Find the induction hob you'd like. That'll give you the clearance you need then you can work out if you can get a double oven under with a 20mm worktop. Somehow I doubt it though.

15. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Just looked at Neff induction hobs. If you're buying the hob and double oven from Neff then according to their installation specs it only requires 30mm clearance. Who knew?!:D Screenshot_20220702-165042_Drive.jpg

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  16. Chris Curwen

Chris Curwen Member

That oven is the correct built under oven to go under worktops.

Its very technically difficult to put it under an induction hob in conjunction with 20mm compact worktops.

You will have to fit it in reverse.

The oven does not come with legs on it.
    Instead the oven slides on angle slide bars that you attach to the adjacent cupboards (units).

So.....therefore you can lower the slide brackets untill you attain the necessary clearance.
    Don't worry too much about the hob clearance...... its there to alert you if placing the hob over a drawer or flat topped base unit.

NOTE.

The deepest part of the Neff or Bosch induction hob is near the back, as the access panel to the wiring centre.
    It measures 54mm on some hobs from the underside of the glass surface.

If you fit the worktops then the hob, you can slide the built under double oven under it later.
    The downside is your oven will be lower than the adjacent units and doors.

There is a solution for this.

We fit Bosch and Neff induction hobs along with a selection of built under ovens every week.

Ask if unsure of anything i have alluded to.

WeCanDoIt likes this.
  17. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

If you look at the Neff website this oven needs min worktop of 39mm.

Bit contradictory to what their hob specs say Screenshot_20220702-182327_Drive.jpg . Might be worth an email to them for clarification before you spend the money

18. Chris Curwen

Chris Curwen Member

I think the 39mm is for putting their hob over their single oven.

The single built under oven in the N70 and N90 series, are virtually flat topped oven lids.

Whereas the 'Built under Double oven' has a massive recess part way along the top of the oven.
    The recess is mostly designed to enable a gas hob to be plumbing in reasonably easy.

(Its not mega easy...but possibly with careful planning.)

For those who question why the Neff (and Bosch) single ovens are flat, its is so you can stack appliances effectively, like warming drawers and compact, altho there are kits for compacts and microwaves to use in the Neff range.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Hell68 likes this.
  19. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

No it's def the specs for the double oven the OP is looking at.

I found it more odd that the Neff induction hob specs say only needs a clearance of 30mm?? But maybe that was for their single ovens?! Go figure?! :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  20. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member