Customer "service"

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by stevie22, Jul 21, 2022.

1. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I have been a customer for 40 some years and while the choice, quality, availabilty and price of goods have been important, the professionalism of staff has also been a key aspect of continuing to cross the threshold on a regular basis. However today's events have caused a rethink

We are installing downlighters in our large hall and decided on Cosmoseco which had a really good offer for a pack of 10 including a "free" holesaw. Reading up the reviews suggested that the saw might be the wrong size so I carefully checked before I started. It was only after I had all the holes drilled, all the wires pulled and the first lights installed that I realised that the 4 singles I'd bought (and checked for size) weren't the same as the 10 pack being fixed not tiltable.

A few muttered curses and back to SF to get the proper cutter. The upshot is that only the cutter I have is free (I hadn't even used it as I had one the same size already) so they can't give me the right one!! I mention not fit for purpose, misleading advertising to no avail. I suggest the manager to whom I've been referred seek higher authority to be sensible and all I get is "no". Do they want to lose a 30 year customer for a holesaw (£5.30 in Toolstation)? Shrug then refuse to discuss because I'm supposedly yelling at the poor woke.

I would love someone (Peter?) to give me a rational explanation for refusing to correct a simple problem

FWIW this manager was having a go at another customer before he got to me.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

best to just go elsewhere. I absolutely loath my local branch for the same reason. any store that treats customers like that doesnt deserve the business

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

At a bit of a loss understanding what was the problem. Looking at the product they say hole cutout diameter for the 10 lights is 57mm or 70mm depending on whether the lights are fixed or tilt , are you saying the free cutter provided wasn't the right diameter for the 10 lights purchased. Not sure where the other 4 singles come into the equation.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Most managers are jobsworths, because they don't manage anything, they just follow the rules. In a big supermarket I was buying about £300 worth of booze, and had a wine carrier but only five bottles of wine, cashier told me he had to charge me for the wine carrier because I only had five bottles. I told him not to be silly, he called someone senior because I had insulted him, senior person backed him up. So I said "No problem, you keep the wine carrier, and you can also keep this £300 pounds worth of booze" - and I walked out, leaving them to sort out the booze that was now preventing the checkout from being used.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I needed 14 so pack of 10 plus 4 singles. However silly old me gets 10 swiveling and 4 fixed. The fixed are 57mm, but the free saw comes with the 10 (which need a 70 hole) is only 57.

I wish I'd thought to take the swiveling lights back and switch to fixed which would have saved the hassle of opening up holes already wired and messing up the floor SWMBO had cleaned, but I'd opened the box so this would probably been refused too.

I just can't understand the pigheaded attitude of the manager I took one of each with me to prove there was an issue and all he had to do was take back the 57 saw, which I hadn't used as I already had one that size, but had opened and give me the right size.

As it was Toolstation 20 yards across the carpark got the massive sale and I will think twice about going back to SF. It's a real shame as the vast majority of the staff are great people: have a laugh, get the right advice when you need.

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

So they gave you a 57mm saw for a 70mm hole, well that's preposterous, I'm not even involved but I am ****** off as well, good job they don't offer free valves with radiators anymore as they would probably be to American specs

stevie22 and Jord86 like this.
  7. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

It says free hole saw. No mention that it would fit the lights :D

Annoying and silly of them but it’s £5 so move on instead of wasting your own time winding yourself up and slagging them off. I spent nearly 30 years in retail. I can assure you that they don’t care how much you jump up and down. They’ll all be laughing at you behind your back by now too. Life is too short to worry about stuff like this.

ginger tuffs likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Life is indeed short but in my opinion, it’s not about the money, it’s the principle of the matter, and being met with a ‘computer says no’ mouth breather who can’t use a shot glass full of common sense would push me elsewhere, on the basis of principle. Also, if as you say the average attitude in the retail industry would be to laugh at the customer behind their back, then that would be even more reason from the customers point of view to shop elsewhere.

stevie22 likes this.
  9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

With all due respect Truck, that''s a lawyer's argument. I defy any rational person to argue that the expectation would be the right size. Otherwise they might as well give you a hammer to beat your head with.

As to ignoring it: well if everyone ignores things nothing alters. Maybe someone at SF will take note and sort the issue so other folk aren't inconvenienced as I was

10. Truckcab79

Then just go elsewhere. You don’t owe any business your money. But rest assured they all laugh at complainers behind your back so if you’re looking for the business that doesn’t then you’re out of luck.

…..and referring to retail staff as ‘mouth-breathers’ and other derogatory comments is the reason why.

11. Truckcab79

Absolutely. And it’s absurd to supply a saw that doesn’t fit, but just buy another one and chuck the free one in the toolbox for another day.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Sigh, reread my post, I didn’t refer to retail staff explicitly as mouth breathers, so there’s no need to confuse the post, funnily enough I used to work behind the bar for a few years whilst doing my apprenticeship, so I’m aware more than anyone on what an awkward customer is like, but my point is that to argue the toss with a regular customer obstinately without offering a solution or alternative is at best foolish and at worse damaging to business.

13. Truckcab79

‘and being met with a ‘computer says no’ mouth breather who can’t use a shot glass full of common sense would push me elsewhere’

In a post purely about the retail staff in a retail establishment and where you go on in the same post to talk about retail I’m afraid that’s exactly what you referred to..if you re-read your own post

…..sigh. :D

I’m done on this one. Pointless thread.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

:confused:

:confused: It’s not about “retail staff” as if the whole industry of several million people is somehow at fault, it’s an observation or hypothetical situation on how an instance or situation can either be resolved helpfully and easily, or not. Never mind.

15. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

@stevie22 I'm sorry to read of your disappointment, with our service.

If you have not done so already please contact our Customer Service Team on 03330 112 112, or send us a email online@screwfix.com with all the details including the order number so we can investigate and help resolve.

Regards

Peter

16. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Thanks for picking up on this Peter.

I will send an email as you suggest but we're on holiday just now so while I can bash the keys. I don't have the the details with me.

As it goes I did get a "report on your recent experience email" so that did get scored very low: maybe someone will take note of this double whammy via that route.