Making tap water safe to drink

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Wheeler99, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Wheeler99

Wheeler99 New Member

Hello how can I completely remove flooride from the water entering my house. For now I have been using bottled water for drinking but I would like to be free of bottles and use the tap water instead from reading online the britta water filters don't remove this

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

1) Are you sure you live in an area where the water is artificially fluoridated[1].
    2) Are you sure you live in an area where the water is naturally fluoridated[1].
    3) Do you value your teeth.
    4) Do you use fluoridated toothpaste.
    5) Do you drink tea? It's got fluoride in it.
    6) Are you aware that the only proven problem with fluoride is fluorosis (rare)[2]?
    7) Do you know that some bottled water naturally contains fluoride?

All that aside, I have no idea how you can remove fluoride or other minerals from your tap water, except for by distilling it, and no idea why on earth you'd want to.

[1] See: https://bfsweb.org/download/1349/google-driver/1IHrRebFziQCWgTmgFxUuvx-zX8RWBLLH/Extent of Water Fluoridation - Printable.pdf, although some of those areas are not (according to my dentist) provided with fluoridated water due to cost).
    [2] Brown spots on the teeth. IN fact, this was how the beneficial effects of fluoride were found. In some places, some people havd rown spots on their teeth, most did not, and it was observed that the incidence of tooth decay was very small.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

The water companies make tap water safe to drink otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to put it into the distribution network

4. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

They put chlorine in the water. That's a deadly element which has been used in chemical warfare.

EDIT: It's also put, in much higher concentrations, into swimming pool water, and in stuff we use to clean the bog. I just thought I'd add that, for balance.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Look at reverse osmosis filters

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tip of the Day, Chlorine also removes foxing stains from paper, (pictures, book pages etc). ;)

7. Wheeler99

Wheeler99 New Member

I'm not a tea drinker and I only use a fluoride free toothpaste. Many studies over the last 60 years have shown that fluoride is poisonous and gives you health problems including autism which is why I won't let this toxin enter my body.

CGN likes this.
  8. Wheeler99

Wheeler99 New Member

Thank you I will look it up.

CGN likes this.
  9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

No one mention the asbestos water pipes, oops. ;)

Jord86 likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

you can get one for under £200. They have several stages of filtration to them. The upside is that they almost 100% remove all the nasties. The down side is that they waste an amount of water to achieve this and secondly they remove the ‘good stuff’ from the water such as minerals etc.Depending on the filter, these can be added back in as an additional stage.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Or lead.

A fluoride toothpaste user

upload_2022-7-23_23-13-46.jpeg

rogerk101 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

And a non fluoride toothpaste user?

Screenshot (894).png

rogerk101 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Agree with CGN here, reverse osmosis systems are the Rolls Royce of filters but there are other systems such as activated carbon and sequestering resins. It all depends on how filtered you want it and what you might consider safe level.

do consider that reverse osmosis takes out almost everything leaving essentially deionised water. Many desalination plants in hot countries with water shortage often add back some minerals that you might typically find in so called “mountain spring water” . Even here, there are chlorides, fluorides etc in trace amounts, the level dependent on the source of the water and geology

CGN likes this.
  14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

15. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Reverse Osmosis will make the water tasteless. Many people probably imagine water is tasteless anyway, until they try totally filtered water. The offshore platform I work on uses RO equipment to desalinate seawater for drinking but we have to add other chemicals and UV treatment to sterilise it afterwards and also stop it from scaling the pipes. To quote Crocodile Dundee, "You can live on it, but it tastes like ****." I believe Coca Cola tried to market RO filtered water a while ago under the brand name Dasani but had to discontinue it for some reason.

16. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Funny, the last time I looked, the average age of death in the UK is significantly higher now than it was before fluoride was added to drinking water!

It clearly isn't that dangerous!

Severntrent and rogerk101 like this.
  17. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I sincerely hope the OP has taken all other precautionary measures to avoid ingesting or inhaling these vicious toxins that surround us ... and which so obviously shorten our lifespans.

Does he eat completely organically produced food? Does he never leave home without his scuba tanks of purified air? Does he avoid using any form of motorised transport or carbon -based energy (lest he pollutes the air that others breath)? Does he live life without any electrical consumption that is non-carbon based?

Get a grip, man ... find something real to get your pee into a froth over!

chesterw, gadget man and Severntrent like this.
  18. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

You are far more likely to have health problems from issues with the filter or the environmental impact of bottles and filters than from fluoride in the water.

19. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

One could drink someone else's urine as the toxins will have been retained in the body of the urinator. Personally I would prefer to drink the tap water.

Cliff Rees and kitfit1 like this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Save water. Drink Beer.

Rosso, BiancoTheGiraffe and kitfit1 like this.