New consumer unit fitted on floor. Need some advice please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by london_guitarist, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

No its not. Do you know if they are registered or not, like with NICE or NAPIT?

2. london_guitarist

london_guitarist New Member

Thank you. Yes, they are a NICEIC approved contractor, domestic installer, and PAT.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  3. london_guitarist

Yes they did drill those massive holes. And there's another huge hole in the soon to be WC which is next to this cupboard.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Get in touch with the NICEIC, show them the standard work they have done and say it is not acceptable. It should be guaranteed which means it will have to be rectified either by the contractor or by someone else FOC.

london_guitarist likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

At least the floor can't get flooded, with drain holes that size provided!

6. london_guitarist

Thanks for your help. I'll be having a conversation with the electrician later to give them an opportunity to resolve. If they disagree I'll contact NICEIC and see if we can get reputable electrician to do the work.

7. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Which regs are 'actually' being broken. Not just opinions.
    The registration bodies will not be interested from what I can gather and legally you have to give the contractor an opportunity to rectify his work apart from under extreme circumstances.
    That is not to say that some aspects of the work are not shoddy. (holes)

8. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Do you mean a nominal 230 Vac ?
    Water when clean is not a very good conductor.

9. london_guitarist

I said in my last post "I'll be having a conversation with the electrician later to give them an opportunity to resolve". I'm not unreasonable and came here to get some advice because I'm not a professional in this field and do not want to make any false accusations about someones work.

10. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Was a general question...aimed at the sparks.:)

11. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

It all comes down to how you interpret "accessible", the sensible and I believe legal interpretation is "accessible to an average person for the intended use", but the disingenuous amongst us would say - the moon is accessible because man has walked on the moon, so its not as difficult as getting to the moon, therefore its accessible.

Incidentally, I was employed to oversee all testing and commissioning on a very large contract, and in every staff kitchen the architect had specified to install as that photo plus they were inside kitchen base cupboards. I refused to have anything to do with it and wrote across all test sheets "Unsafe to maintain test or operate, refer to architect" - that was my parting shot.:D

jimbobby likes this.
  12. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

I think if you were doing an EICR what would you code it, personally I would not even code it a C3 as you can get to it, so like has been said although there is guidance about where to put a consumer unit thats really for a new build as we all know its not always possible... I agree its a stupid place to put it, if could be they have done it to amendment 2 which requires an SPD and type A RCD's, there may not have been enough room in the old 17th edition MK board to fit an SPD..

If I was trying to defend it I would say the cables are coming from below and there is not really much room to put any trunking or anything to get the cables past the head and meter area, maybe on the right hand side? But personally I think anyone that fits a BG board should automatically be removed from the CPS's, I have yet to see a decent BG board installed, you know if you see one of those its gunna be a dogs dinner..

13. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Guessing it’s installed to north american standards?
    Possibly their interpretation of grounding.:D

Bazza-spark likes this.
  14. chesterw

"C1 - Unsafe to inspect, maintain, test or operate, relocate to an accessible location", I would never allow anyone to work in a potentially dangerous situation.

15. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

So much like tens of thousands of socket outlets in older buildings..100 mm off the floor ?

16. chesterw

the disingenuous amongst us would say - the moon is accessible because man has walked on the moon, so its not as difficult as getting to the moon, therefore its accessible.

17. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

C1 issues are the ones where if you touch it you may die, such as live exposed conductors accessible to touch.

So it’s not a C1.

It maybe a C2, which is the “what if” category, such as what if the insulation is damaged and then the live conductor will be exposed to touch and there isn’t a RCD for supplementary protection?

It definitely could be a C3.

18. chesterw

How do you know there aren't any, considering it's as difficult for you to check as it was for the guy doing the original connections.

19. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Most connection are about 200mm off deck...so quite accessible. The busbar fingers into the MCB clamps could be checked with a dentist mirror as they should be anyway.
    Dont see any problem whatsoever.

20. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select