Forum Support Temporary forum closure

Discussion in 'Support' started by screwfix.peter, Sep 16, 2022.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I am! They have their place for ceremonial reasons, and I had massive respect for the Queen!

It's for those reasons that I really don't want everyone to go OTT on Monday, it would just make the royals unpopular!

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Really?

The forum is shut for 1 day while we see the funeral of the Queen that gave 70 years service.

Get over it!

Kingscurate likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

It's not about what is happening, it's about what it symbolises...

Really think that the Queen would have wanted the complete shutdown of the country?

Personally I think it's disastrous for the future of the monarchy for people to be told they can't carry on their lives as normal because it's the Queen's funeral... Let them make their own choices!

Rick1632 likes this.
  4. Bazza-spark

What it symbolises is respect for our deceased monarch and her family. Nothing disatrous in my mind.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

Why on earth would you think that shutting a forum was respectful?!

If someone told you that not opening a bag of crisps on Monday was respectful would you go along with that too?!

Is there anything else I should do or not do on Monday?!

I-Man likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

So I take it you disagree with trade counters, diy stores, shops and supermarkets closing too.

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

That is different, people need to be present to run those, this forum doesn't!

I do however disagree with the idea that everyone should be forced to close... I've seen a company get a load of abuse on Facebook tonight simply for stating that they'd be open as normal

CGN likes this.
  8. Bazza-spark

It needs admin to monitor it.

Nobody is being forced to close. It is at their discretion.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There is no need for a forum to close to show respect, but I’m not bothered either way. Life goes on regardless of who/whom has passed away.

I-Man and Jord86 like this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How did you manage before this forum?

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

It often goes for days at a time without being monitored, don't see how Monday is any different from any other bank holiday

12. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

That was my train of thought.. Does this forum actually have someone who works on in it in some capacity everyday in order to fucntion? If so, fair enough they are entitled to a day off, but if not.. Then why would it be shut down?
    Will tv channels and radio stations not broadcasting the funeral also all be closed down too?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  13. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I think it's right that non-essential services are being closed as a mark of respect.

However, sadly we all now have to toe the line or be subject to trial by the press and Facebook etc who just love stirring up division.

Anyone not sending out the right virtue signals will inevitably end up with a brick through the window.

BiancoTheGiraffe and I-Man like this.
  14. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Its all about respect, something that has been dwindling away for years. I don't care whether people support the queen or the shutdowns, just keep your thoughts to yourselves and respect others feelings - its a very small thing to ask

Kingscurate likes this.
  15. BiancoTheGiraffe

And all I ask is that respect is shown for other people's feelings and opinions, particularly when they're just speaking up for freedom of choice, something Her Majesty was very much in favour of!

Forced "respect" is not respect at all!

16. chesterw

So why are you trying to force your opinions on other people?

Kingscurate likes this.
  17. BiancoTheGiraffe

The opinion that we should be free to carry on as normal if we choose to and it doesn't affect anyone else?

I'm not forcing it on anyone, I'm asking that it be respected when it has absolutely no impact on anyone else!

18. chesterw

19. BiancoTheGiraffe

So basically in your world respect only works one way...

Ironically not a view that HM would have shared!

20. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Closing at 10:00 on Monday and available at say 17:00 would be reasonable. But from Sunday Evening to Tuesday Morning - and I would guess 8:00 or so, is well over the top.

Will I be doing anything between 10:00 and 16:00 on Monday? Yes, I will be watching the processions and services.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.