Skirting - Change or Refresh?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LukeSki11, Sep 24, 2022.

1. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

I have the same skirting throughout the house I have just purchased, see photos. It’s actually in fairly good condition all the way around, other than needing a refresh of paint really…

Question is, is this type of skirting considered really dated now? I dont mind it but obviously prefer the square edge / grooved options i’ve seen. However in terms of potentially saving a little bit of money is this still considered ok? Or will it be something i regret once new carpets doors and everything are in?

thanks!

2. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Photos

Attached Files:

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You're asking a forum to determine your taste in things?

Forget about whether stuff is 'dated' or 'in vogue'. Just go with what feels right for you!

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

All down to personal taste.

CGN likes this.
  5. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

Remember that changing it will cause work and mess in absolutely every room of the house and is likely to lead to 'scope creep' ... if you are doing the skirtings you should do the architraves, too. It will cause damage to the decoration so you will have to repair that ... the list gets longer .... Once you have got the existing stuff redecorated, rooms recarpeted and your stuff in there you'll stop even noticing that it isn't quite 'current'. Changing everything to keep current means that in five years that will look dated and you'll 'need' to change it again. Bottomless pit.

LukeSki11, CGN and rogerk101 like this.
  6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

What does SWMBO want? That's the real issue.

Lots of peeps prefer old to new, but who really studies the skirtings?

For me it's paint.

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I study skirt.

But feel free to do things with paint if that’s your thing.

Jord86 and rogerk101 like this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Depends not only on personal taste but the date of the property and other trim. For example if it was a Victorian terrace, say, with coving and decorative ceiling roses a modern square edged and grooved skirting would look silly.

Some of the minimilist modern skirting just looks cheap to me, but as others have said and to repeat, it's down to taste.

9. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

its a 2002 build so not old , and we will be modernising throughout however to save work and a lot of money i think i’ll stick with and refresh!

Once furniture and other bits are in, I think i wont really notice so much.. and as above, at some point it will be out of date again anyway!

10. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

The skirting looks fine to me. It's got some moulding on it, which gives interest. Definitely doesn't look "cheap." As long as it isn't damaged, or have big gaps in it - then I don't think you'd get much out of replacing it.

Changing skirting board throughout a house is a bigger job than I think a lot of people realise. There are lots of corners, which require quite precise cutting to length, as well as miter and cope cuts. Given the cost/bother of doing that - I think you'd have to have some pretty amazing skirting in mind to bother replacing the stuff you've already got.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Once the corner settee, armchairs, tv cabinet, pouffe, hifi station, bookshelf, coffee table, drinks cabinet etc etc goes right up against it you aren’t going to give a monkeys about the style of skirting.

Leave it and save yourself a fortune.

rogerk101 likes this.